Help building (problems with pkg-config and libpng)

I have a working system now. Here’s what I did to fix it.

1. Installed libpng from source
  2. Installed freetype2 from source
  3. Installed pkg-config from source
  4. Installed a new version of the Xcode developer tools for the mac.

During the build I still saw a few ‘incompatible architecture’ errors flash by, but I guess they weren’t serious enough for the build to stop.

···

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Rick Muller <rpmuller@…287…> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@…86…> wrote:

What does

pkg-config libpng --modversion --libs --cflags

give?

The pkg-config error may actually be a red herring, since matplotlib will look in /usr/local even if pkg-config fails, and it obviously found the headers or it wouldn’t have gotten to the linking stage. As the author of the pkg-config support I would like to rule that out as the problem though.

I think it’s more likely that the libpng isn’t being built correctly to match the kind of binary matplotlib is building. I’m afraid that’s where I hit the end of my knowledge as a non-Mac user, but I’m sure another Mac developer will chime in.

Okay, I just installed pkg-config, and it now finds the proper libpng…

libpng: 1.2.37

However, I still get exactly the same compile problem:

g++ -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -g -bundle -u

ndefined dynamic_lookup build/temp.macosx-10.3-fat-2.6/src/ft2font.o build/temp.
macosx-10.3-fat-2.6/src/mplutils.o build/temp.macosx-10.3-fat-2.6/CXX/cxx_extens
ions.o build/temp.macosx-10.3-fat-2.6/CXX/cxxsupport.o build/temp.macosx-10.3-fa

t-2.6/CXX/IndirectPythonInterface.o build/temp.macosx-10.3-fat-2.6/CXX/cxxextens
ions.o -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lfreetype -lz -lstdc++ -lm
-o build/lib.macosx-10.3-fat-2.6/matplotlib/ft2font.so

ld: in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/local/lib/libPng.dylib, file is not o
f required architecture for architecture ppc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
lipo: can’t open input file: /var/folders/tu/tuLdYMqlEm00c5EVXrMQ+U+++TQ/-Tmp-//

ccU5pNn1.out (No such file or directory)

error: command ‘g++’ failed with exit status 1

Rick Muller
rpmuller@…287…

Rick Muller
rpmuller@…287…