GTKAgg Win XP

Hi

In case anyone has the same problem getting GTKAgg (I think this is the best option for use with pythonwin & Idle & pycrust since the default TKAgg causes GPF) to work on win XP, note that the current version of pyGTK for windows - pygtk-2.4.1-2.win32-py2.4.exe doesn’t work with the versions of GTK available from the page linked to in the matplotlib faq owing to an unresolved dll reference. However, gtk-win32-2.6.1-rc3.exe will work. I think that GTK has some parallel development strands, which is confusing …

Mark

p.s. matplotlib is way cool now I’ve got it working! All I need now is something equally good for doing surface plots, have tried DISLIN but the output doesn’t look that good particularly the fonts…

I went through the pygtk win32 setup thing again this month, and it's still a bit fiddly, but it's getting better. I updated the pygtk FAQ:

http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/index.py?req=show&file=faq21.002.htp

Alas ipython slows to a crawl using GTK interactively. It started happening sometime between gtk 2.2 and gtk 2.4.

I'm still a bit dubious about gtk support for non-English win32. I've had some fatal problems with Japanese windows. The vibe I get from gtk developer lists about win32 is a bit negative.

So I'm thinking of switching to wx on win32. It seems to work fine with ipython at least.

m.

···

On 12/02/2005 7:36 PM, Mark Hailes wrote:

Hi
I think that GTK has some parallel development strands, which is confusing ...