Great sprint on master!

Great work everybody for the recent set of fixes and changes to the master branch. I am quickly putting master through its paces and checking out the docs and I have a few things I have noticed. I figure this might be a good thread to air out any remaining quirks that we want resolved before branching v1.1.0.

First, we obviously need to update the What’s New page. The top two changes that stand out in my mind are tight_layout and animation modules.

Second, the doc build system is not pulling in the animation.py module for the API docs. Plus, I recall a fantastic example posted a few months back of a pendulum demo that used the animation module. That example should be front and center for the animation docs.

Third, like the animation.py module, the tight_layout.py module is not pulled in for the API docs (but does it need to?). However, the tight_layout guide for the User’s Guide looks good.

Some build errors/warnings for the docs are interesting. In particular, we still see Invalid Value messages with respect to the polar projections and some geo projections. I don’t know if anybody has a clue about those. (along a similar note, I have been unable to use log scale for polar projection).

When running the tests, I have 1 error (ERROR: Failure: AttributeError (‘module’ object has no attribute ‘test_textmatplotlib’)), and two failures. The failures are:

···

======================================================================

FAIL: matplotlib.tests.test_axes.test_single_point.test

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nose/case.py”, line 187, in runTest

self.test(*self.arg)

File “/home/bvr/Programs/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py”, line 34, in failer
result = f(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/bvr/Programs/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py”, line 124, in do_test

'(RMS %(rms).3f)'%err)

ImageComparisonFailure: images not close: /home/bvr/testy/result_images/test_axes/single_point.png vs. /home/bvr/testy/result_images/test_axes/expected-single_point.png (RMS 10.392)

======================================================================
FAIL: matplotlib.tests.test_image.test_image_interps.test

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nose/case.py”, line 187, in runTest
self.test(*self.arg)
File “/home/bvr/Programs/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py”, line 34, in failer

result = f(*args, **kwargs)

File “/home/bvr/Programs/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py”, line 124, in do_test
‘(RMS %(rms).3f)’%err)
ImageComparisonFailure: images not close: /home/bvr/testy/result_images/test_image/image_interps_pdf.png vs. /home/bvr/testy/result_images/test_image/expected-image_interps_pdf.png (RMS 281.963)

I can not tell the difference for the single-point test, but there is a difference for the interps test. The transition from blue to green for the top subplot is in a slightly different location and might be due to some sort of changes made to rasterization?

These are just what I have noticed so far. Good work, everybody!

Ben Root