[Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details]

Fernando Perez wrote:

Hey Travis,

my reply to you on the 3d plotting question bounced (your spam filters don't like code attachments, it seems).

Thanks for sending this to me. I had to change a few (if Z: checks) to make it work, but the demo ran nicely after that.

Is this going to be included in matplotlib any time? What's the hold up?

-Travis

Travis Oliphant wrote:

Fernando Perez wrote:

Hey Travis,

my reply to you on the 3d plotting question bounced (your spam filters don't like code attachments, it seems).

Thanks for sending this to me. I had to change a few (if Z: checks) to make it work, but the demo ran nicely after that.

Is this going to be included in matplotlib any time? What's the hold up?

I think John said he was very interested, but the original author said he wanted to work on it some more before including it. And that's the last I've heard on the topic.

My vote would be to just include it: people can polish it later, but SOME 3d functionality is better than none.

I'd suggest changing the mouse bindings to mimic the VTK ones (zooming/panning/rotation), since at some point in the future mpl may grow VTK support, and that's a well-established convention. But that's a quick change to make.

Cheers,

f

Fernando Perez wrote:

I think John said he was very interested, but the original author said he wanted to work on it some more before including it. And that's the last I've heard on the topic.

My vote would be to just include it: people can polish it later, but SOME 3d functionality is better than none.

+1

I'd suggest changing the mouse bindings to mimic the VTK ones (zooming/panning/rotation), since at some point in the future mpl may grow VTK support, and that's a well-established convention. But that's a quick change to make.

+1

(impressed that it is a "quick change")

-Travis

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:

+1

(impressed that it is a "quick change")

Well, putting rotation on button 1 instead of 2 is trivial:

planck[3d]> diff -u mplot3d_ori.py mplot3d.py
--- mplot3d_ori.py 2006-01-31 13:23:59.000000000 -0700
+++ mplot3d.py 2006-01-31 13:24:33.000000000 -0700
@@ -1016,12 +1016,12 @@
          self.figure.canvas.mpl_connect('button_release_event', self.button_release)

def button_press(self, event):
- if event.button == 2:
- self.button_pressed = 2
+ if event.button == 1:
+ self.button_pressed = 1
              self.sx,self.sy = event.xdata,event.ydata

def button_release(self, event):
- if event.button == 2:
+ if event.button == 1:
              self.button_pressed = None
              #self.figure.canvas.mpl_disconnect(self.bind_id)

I can't do the others right now, but it should be pretty straightforward.

Cheers,

f