Focus in OSX

Hi all-

I've been running into this issue for the last few months and at first thought it was Enthought specific but now have confirmed it on a clean (virtualenv) install of Fonnesbeck's superpack using built in Apple python and a dev matplotlib on Lion.

With the OSX backend, figures clearly have focus issues:

1. Keyboard input always goes to the terminal. Shortcuts don't work in the standard plot windows and my custom widgets no longer catch key_press_events (I'm not sure when this functionality broke exactly as I haven't used those widgets much recently but it worked when I developed 'em a year or two ago.)

2. There's no icon in the cmd-tab task switcher corresponding to the figure windows. Swapping to the terminal running ipython (or the qtconsole for ipython qtconsole) does not raise the windows.

3. Using mission control, the figures appear grouped as if they belong to an application of their own. However, when you click on them to swap to them and bring them forward from behind other windows, they raise and then immediately disappear again. I think that mission control is raising the specific window you select from the collection of figures, but then OSX is somehow immediately re-raising the previously selected app, which hides the figures again.

Just to check its not IPython's fault, I also checked running a bare python, import all from pylab and showed a (blocking) figure -- exact same behavior.

Is this a known bug? It's quite annoying not to be able to switch focus to a plot window.

Best, Chris

I can confirm all three of these issues. Having never used matplotlib outside of OSX Lion, I thought this was standard for MPL, I’m glad to hear it’s not, but I agree that these are very important issues to be addressed.

-E

···

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Chris Laumann <claumann@…3437…> wrote:

Hi all-

I’ve been running into this issue for the last few months and at first thought it was Enthought specific but now have confirmed it on a clean (virtualenv) install of Fonnesbeck’s superpack using built in Apple python and a dev matplotlib on Lion.

With the OSX backend, figures clearly have focus issues:

1. Keyboard input always goes to the terminal. Shortcuts don’t work in the standard plot windows and my custom widgets no longer catch key_press_events (I’m not sure when this functionality broke exactly as I haven’t used those widgets much recently but it worked when I developed 'em a year or two ago.)

2. There’s no icon in the cmd-tab task switcher corresponding to the figure windows. Swapping to the terminal running ipython (or the qtconsole for ipython qtconsole) does not raise the windows.

3. Using mission control, the figures appear grouped as if they belong to an application of their own. However, when you click on them to swap to them and bring them forward from behind other windows, they raise and then immediately disappear again. I think that mission control is raising the specific window you select from the collection of figures, but then OSX is somehow immediately re-raising the previously selected app, which hides the figures again.

Just to check its not IPython’s fault, I also checked running a bare python, import all from pylab and showed a (blocking) figure – exact same behavior.

Is this a known bug? It’s quite annoying not to be able to switch focus to a plot window.

Best, Chris

Better than sec? Nothing is better than sec when it comes to

monitoring Big Data applications. Try Boundary one-second

resolution app monitoring today. Free.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/Boundary-dev2dev

Matplotlib-users mailing list

Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-users

1. Keyboard input always goes to the terminal. Shortcuts don't work in the standard plot windows and my custom widgets no longer catch key_press_events (I'm not sure when this functionality broke exactly as I haven't used those widgets much recently but it worked when I developed 'em a year or two ago.)

2. There's no icon in the cmd-tab task switcher corresponding to the figure windows. Swapping to the terminal running ipython (or the qtconsole for ipython qtconsole) does not raise the windows.

Hmm, I don't really see these issues, using a dev matplotlib, OS X 10.7.3, and a python.org python 2.7. Interesting. (This is with the 'MacOSX' backend, mind. Also note that on March 5 there was a patch to that backend to fix a few issues, so if your matplotlib checkout is before that, perhaps that's the problem?)

Anyhow, when I start python (or ipython), and then do "import matplotlib.pyplot as plt", nothing happens, but then "plt.figure()", for example, causes a new dock icon to appear -- a python rocket-ship thing -- that acts as an "app" that owns the figure windows. I can use this app to switch to / raise the windows from the dock or the cmd-tab switcher, and things work correctly via mission control as well.

The keyboard shortcuts are a bit flaky ('s' never seems to work, but I can e.g. toggle gridlines with 'g' or log-axes with 'l'), but the key-presses definitely don't go to the terminal.

I wonder what the difference is? Perhaps the apple-supplied python is a bit broken in this regard?

Zach

I’m using homebrew python, which is built from source, and the latest matplotlib gotten from git://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib.git. (I rebuilt it ~2 minutes ago)

Perhaps there’s some kind of environment difference?
-E

···

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@…1927…> wrote:

1. Keyboard input always goes to the terminal. Shortcuts don’t work in the standard plot windows and my custom widgets no longer catch key_press_events (I’m not sure when this functionality broke exactly as I haven’t used those widgets much recently but it worked when I developed 'em a year or two ago.)
  1. There’s no icon in the cmd-tab task switcher corresponding to the figure windows. Swapping to the terminal running ipython (or the qtconsole for ipython qtconsole) does not raise the windows.
  1. Using mission control, the figures appear grouped as if they belong to an application of their own. However, when you click on them to swap to them and bring them forward from behind other windows, they raise and then immediately disappear again. I think that mission control is raising the specific window you select from the collection of figures, but then OSX is somehow immediately re-raising the previously selected app, which hides the figures again.

Hmm, I don’t really see these issues, using a dev matplotlib, OS X 10.7.3, and a python.org python 2.7. Interesting. (This is with the ‘MacOSX’ backend, mind. Also note that on March 5 there was a patch to that backend to fix a few issues, so if your matplotlib checkout is before that, perhaps that’s the problem?)

Anyhow, when I start python (or ipython), and then do “import matplotlib.pyplot as plt”, nothing happens, but then “plt.figure()”, for example, causes a new dock icon to appear – a python rocket-ship thing – that acts as an “app” that owns the figure windows. I can use this app to switch to / raise the windows from the dock or the cmd-tab switcher, and things work correctly via mission control as well.

The keyboard shortcuts are a bit flaky (‘s’ never seems to work, but I can e.g. toggle gridlines with ‘g’ or log-axes with ‘l’), but the key-presses definitely don’t go to the terminal.

I wonder what the difference is? Perhaps the apple-supplied python is a bit broken in this regard?

Zach

I get the exact same behavior from both Enthought supplied python and Apple supplied python. I haven’t tried any other pythons, but it isn’t limited to the Apple one.

C

···

On Apr 11, 2012, at 1:58 PM, Elliot Saba wrote:

I’m using homebrew python, which is built from source, and the latest matplotlib gotten from git://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib.git. (I rebuilt it ~2 minutes ago)

-E

1. There’s no icon in the cmd-tab task switcher corresponding to the figure windows. Swapping to the terminal running ipython (or the qtconsole for ipython qtconsole) does not raise the windows.
  1. Using mission control, the figures appear grouped as if they belong to an application of their own. However, when you click on them to swap to them and bring them forward from behind other windows, they raise and then immediately disappear again. I think that mission control is raising the specific window you select from the collection of figures, but then OSX is somehow immediately re-raising the previously selected app, which hides the figures again.

Hmm, I don’t really see these issues, using a dev matplotlib, OS X 10.7.3, and a python.org python 2.7. Interesting. (This is with the ‘MacOSX’ backend, mind. Also note that on March 5 there was a patch to that backend to fix a few issues, so if your matplotlib checkout is before that, perhaps that’s the problem?)

Anyhow, when I start python (or ipython), and then do “import matplotlib.pyplot as plt”, nothing happens, but then “plt.figure()”, for example, causes a new dock icon to appear – a python rocket-ship thing – that acts as an “app” that owns the figure windows. I can use this app to switch to / raise the windows from the dock or the cmd-tab switcher, and things work correctly via mission control as well.

The keyboard shortcuts are a bit flaky (‘s’ never seems to work, but I can e.g. toggle gridlines with ‘g’ or log-axes with ‘l’), but the key-presses definitely don’t go to the terminal.

Zach

http://p.sf.net/sfu/Boundary-dev2dev_______________________________________________
matplotlib-users List Signup and Options

Huh, bizarre. So neither of you get the little rocket-ship app icon appear when matplotlib first draws a window?
And matplotlib.rcParams['backend'] is definitely 'MacOSX'?

Hopefully someone who knows more about the OS X backend can comment here...
Zach

···

On Apr 11, 2012, at 2:19 PM, Chris Laumann wrote:

I get the exact same behavior from both Enthought supplied python and Apple supplied python. I haven't tried any other pythons, but it isn't limited to the Apple one.

C

I'm using homebrew python, which is built from source, and the latest matplotlib gotten from git://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib.git. (I rebuilt it ~2 minutes ago)

Perhaps there's some kind of environment difference?
-E

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@...4064.....> wrote:

Hmm, I don't really see these issues, using a dev matplotlib, OS X 10.7.3, and a python.org python 2.7. Interesting. (This is with the 'MacOSX' backend, mind. Also note that on March 5 there was a patch to that backend to fix a few issues, so if your matplotlib checkout is before that, perhaps that's the problem?)

Anyhow, when I start python (or ipython), and then do "import matplotlib.pyplot as plt", nothing happens, but then "plt.figure()", for example, causes a new dock icon to appear -- a python rocket-ship thing -- that acts as an "app" that owns the figure windows. I can use this app to switch to / raise the windows from the dock or the cmd-tab switcher, and things work correctly via mission control as well.

The keyboard shortcuts are a bit flaky ('s' never seems to work, but I can e.g. toggle gridlines with 'g' or log-axes with 'l'), but the key-presses definitely don't go to the terminal.

Zach
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://p.sf.net/sfu/Boundary-dev2dev_______________________________________________

I get the exact same behavior from both Enthought supplied python and Apple supplied python. I haven't tried any other pythons, but it isn't limited to the Apple one.

C

I've never seen quite what has been described, but I've had issues with the macosx backend not updating the plot window in realtime when working interactively.

I've given up and just use the tkagg backend, no problems there on OSX for me. It might be something others should try. When I was having trouble, I tried reinstalling python & matplotlib about 5 different ways including just using the builtin python plus the binary matplotlib installer, nothing worked with the osx backend, but I think tkagg always worked.

Is there a benefit to the macosx backend over the tkagg one?

Ethan

···

I'm using homebrew python, which is built from source, and the latest matplotlib gotten from git://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib.git. (I rebuilt it ~2 minutes ago)

Perhaps there's some kind of environment difference?
-E

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@...4064.....> wrote:

Zach

The ‘tkagg’ backend works properly for me, (I get the icon, the windows behave properly, keyboard shortcuts work, etc…) my only complaint is that it’s much “uglier” than the OSX version (the color scheme is wrong as the windows are non-native).

-E

···

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Ethan Gutmann <ethan.gutmann@…287…> wrote:

I get the exact same behavior from both Enthought supplied python and Apple supplied python. I haven’t tried any other pythons, but it isn’t limited to the Apple one.

C

I’ve never seen quite what has been described, but I’ve had issues with the macosx backend not updating the plot window in realtime when working interactively.

I’ve given up and just use the tkagg backend, no problems there on OSX for me. It might be something others should try. When I was having trouble, I tried reinstalling python & matplotlib about 5 different ways including just using the builtin python plus the binary matplotlib installer, nothing worked with the osx backend, but I think tkagg always worked.

Is there a benefit to the macosx backend over the tkagg one?

Ethan

-E

Zach

It sounds like the Python you are using is not installed as a framework. Using the --enable-framework flag when compiling Python.

-Michiel.

···

--- On Wed, 4/11/12, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@...1927...> wrote:

Hopefully someone who knows more about the OS X backend can
comment here...

Actually I don't know about the apple supplied python, but I believe enthoughts python is installed as a framework.

C

···

On Apr 12, 2012, at 8:53 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon@...9...> wrote:

--- On Wed, 4/11/12, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@...1927...> wrote:

comment here...

It sounds like the Python you are using is not installed as a framework. Using the --enable-framework flag when compiling Python.

-Michiel.

For Developers, A Lot Can Happen In A Second.
Boundary is the first to Know...and Tell You.
Monitor Your Applications in Ultra-Fine Resolution. Try it FREE!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/Boundary-d2dvs2

Confirmed, when I installed my python as a framework, (With homebrew, brew install python --framework) the focus now works properly.

-E

···

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Chris Laumann <claumann@…4066…> wrote:

Actually I don’t know about the apple supplied python, but I believe enthoughts python is installed as a framework.

C

On Apr 12, 2012, at 8:53 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon@…9…> wrote:

— On Wed, 4/11/12, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@…1927…> wrote:

comment here…

-Michiel.

Boundary is the first to Know…and Tell You.

OK, that is good to know.
The Apple-supplied python is not installed as a framework; I don’t know for the Enthought distribution.
Anyway, the MacOSX backend checks whether your Python is installed as a framework, and it issues a warning if it is not installed as a framework. For your non-framework python, was this warning issued?
Best,
-Michiel.

···

— On Fri, 4/13/12, Elliot Saba <staticfloat@…287…> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] Focus in OSX
To: “Chris Laumann” <claumann@…3437…>
Cc: “Michiel de Hoon” <mjldehoon@…9…>, “matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.netmatplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Date:
Friday, April 13, 2012, 4:57 PM

Confirmed, when I installed my python as a framework, (With homebrew, brew install python --framework) the focus now works properly.
-E

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Chris Laumann <claumann@…3437…> wrote:

Actually I don’t know about the apple supplied python, but I believe enthoughts python is installed as a framework.

C

On Apr 12, 2012, at 8:53 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon@…9…> wrote:

comment here…

-Michiel.

Nope! No such warning was ever seen.

-E

···

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon@…9…> wrote:

OK, that is good to know.
The Apple-supplied python is not installed as a framework; I don’t know for the Enthought distribution.
Anyway, the MacOSX backend checks whether your Python is installed as a framework, and it issues a warning if it is not installed as a framework. For your non-framework python, was this warning issued?
Best,
-Michiel.
— On Fri, 4/13/12, Elliot Saba <staticfloat@…1972…> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] Focus in OSX
To: “Chris Laumann” <claumann@…3437…>

Cc: “Michiel de Hoon” <mjldehoon@…9…>, “matplotlib-users@…1838…urceforge.net” matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Date:
Friday, April 13, 2012, 4:57 PM

-E

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Chris Laumann <claumann@…3437…> wrote:

C

On Apr 12, 2012, at 8:53 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon@…120…9…> wrote:

comment here…

-Michiel.

Matplotlib-users@…504…et