filehandle leaks in matplotlib 0.91.1

hi,

I think the new 0.91.1 has some kind of file handle leak at least when using python 2.4, tkagg, and within ipython. Using process explorer to look at filehandles opened by python then I get about 25 new open handles to vera.ttf per %run of the following script.

from pylab import *

figure(1)
clf()
title("jj")
figure(2)
clf()
title("jj")

However if I close("all") between %runs then all the open handles are closed.

I tried the same thing with 0.90.1 and then I only get 2 handles for the same script and no increase on subsequent calls with or without close("all").

/J�rgen

I'm on a Linux box (I'm assuming you're on Windows, since you mentioned Process Explorer), and I wasn't able to find any file handle "leaks", as such, but I did see that font files were being opened many more times than they need to be.

If you're able to run from Subversion, r4633 has a fix for this. I'm curious if it fixes your symptoms.

Cheers,
Mike

J�rgen Stenarson wrote:

···

hi,

I think the new 0.91.1 has some kind of file handle leak at least when using python 2.4, tkagg, and within ipython. Using process explorer to look at filehandles opened by python then I get about 25 new open handles to vera.ttf per %run of the following script.

from pylab import *

figure(1)
clf()
title("jj")
figure(2)
clf()
title("jj")

However if I close("all") between %runs then all the open handles are closed.

I tried the same thing with 0.90.1 and then I only get 2 handles for the same script and no increase on subsequent calls with or without close("all").

/J�rgen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: The Future of Linux Business White Paper
from Novell. From the desktop to the data center, Linux is going
mainstream. Let it simplify your IT future.
http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/8857-50307-18918-4

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA

Michael Droettboom skrev:

I'm on a Linux box (I'm assuming you're on Windows, since you mentioned Process Explorer), and I wasn't able to find any file handle "leaks", as such, but I did see that font files were being opened many more times than they need to be.

If you're able to run from Subversion, r4633 has a fix for this. I'm curious if it fixes your symptoms.

Yes this fixed the problem.

/J�rgen