example: wx.ToolTip for MPL axes

What is this supposed to give you. I get a Very long tooltip box with:

tip with a
long
line and a newline

In it.

then, when the mouse starts moving, I get a tip that is just the right size to hold the two coords, each on their own line.

That initial tooltip never shows up for me, which I think is the correct behaviour, so I just put whatever in there to make it a really long line to get around the wx bug.

wxGTK2

Also, disables the tooltip when the mouse moves off of the axes, which prevents stray tooltips from hanging around.

this doesn't work for me either. If that code in enables, the tip goes away and does not come back at all.

I guess I'll make a non-MPL version, and send a note to the wxPython list.

-Chris

Cool. Yeah, I don't think wx gets as much testing on GTK as it does on Windows.

Martin

Martin Spacek wrote:

That initial tooltip never shows up for me, which I think is the correct behaviour,

Probably. You have that Enable(False) call in there. However, I notice from the docs that wx.ToolTip.Enable() is a "global" call -- it doesn't just enable or disable that particular tooltip. I can't say I really understand what that means, though.

so I just put whatever in there to make it a really long line to get around the wx bug.

Well, it seems to work OK for all the next tips.

Cool. Yeah, I don't think wx gets as much testing on GTK as it does on Windows.

I think it does. I think GTK and MSW get about equal usage, with wxMac a very distant third.

(and this is working very poorly on Mac)

Some things work better on Windows, some on GTK. In this case, I thihk we're bumping into cross-platfrom issues. wx tries to use native functionality where it can and that does make for differences.

I'm going to take this discussion over to wxpython-users -- are you on that list too?

-Chris

ยทยทยท

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

NOAA/OR&R/HAZMAT (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...236...