Error: "cannot import name rcParams, verbose"

Mr. Kienzle,

I just updated my matplotlib from the CVS repository. However when I do "import pylab", it igves me different errors depending on what directory I am in. If I do it in the matplotlib directory I get the error "cannot import name rcParams, verbose" while in any other directory I just get the error "cannot import name verbose". Do you know what the problem is? Also, in the matplotlib directory the error comes from the file numerix/__init__.py, while in the other directories the error comes from the file cm.py.

Finally, is there an equivalent of “make clean” for distutils? Meaning, if I want to get rid of all the object files and recreate them to see if that works, how do I do that? Or is the only way to do that to remove the whole matplotlib directory and re-download from CVS?

Hopefully I’ll be able to get this working soon.

By the way, when I do get it working do you want me to submit the patch for axes.py, or did you already do that?

-Alex Mont

Mr. Kienzle,

I just updated my matplotlib from the CVS repository. However when I do "import pylab", it igves me different errors depending on what directory I am in. If I do it in the matplotlib directory I get the error "cannot import name rcParams, verbose" while in any other directory I just get the error "cannot import name verbose". Do you know what the problem is? Also, in the matplotlib directory the error comes from the file numerix/__init__.py, while in the other directories the error comes from the file cm.py.

Finally, is there an equivalent of “make clean” for distutils? Meaning, if I want to get rid of all the object files and recreate them to see if that works, how do I do that? Or is the only way to do that to remove the whole matplotlib directory and re-download from CVS?

Try deleting the “build” directory and then rebuilding matplotlib. If
that doesn’t work then delete the matplotlib directory in
python/site-packages.

···

On 11/21/05, Alexander Mont <alexmont1@…614…> wrote:

Hopefully I’ll be able to get this working soon.

By the way, when I do get it working do you want me to submit the patch for axes.py, or did you already do that?

-Alex Mont

Paul Barrett,
PhD
Johns Hopkins University
Assoc. Research Scientist Dept of Physics and Astronomy
Phone: 410-516-5190 Baltimore, MD 21218