Equivalent to Gnuplot histeps style

Jeremy Conlin wrote:

Jeremy Conlin wrote:

Jeremy,

I ran across the answer to this last week while searching the list for
info on datestr2num (both subjects happened to come up in the same
exchange).

http://www.nabble.com/First-impression-from-a-new-user-tf1716894.html#a4662446

plot(x, y, linestyle='*steps*')

Charles Seaton

Well that's great! (I should have at least tried making such a plot
before posting. Sorry.) How come I couldn't find it in the
documentation? I can't find anything about available linestyles. Am
I looking the wrong location? I am looking at users_guide_0.9.0.pdf

The user's guide tends to lag. To find the latest features, look at the
CHANGELOG, the examples, and the docstrings. Ipython is a big help for
looking at docstrings and trying things out. Are you familiar with it?

Eric

I am familiar with IPython and use it all the time as a replacement
for the standard Python interpreter. I don't always use the extra
features it offers. I just did

help pylab.plot

Even easier:

pylab.plot?

And for more detail (but mostly useful for matplotlib modules and functions rather than for their pylab wrappers), use two question marks to view the source code.

To see available functions or attributes, use tab completion.

Eric

···

On 10/18/07, Eric Firing <efiring@...202...> wrote:

On 10/17/07, Charles Seaton <cseaton@...1743...> wrote:

and there it was, what the available linestyles. Again lesson
learned, read the (available) documentation before asking the
questions. It is sometimes confusing where to go for the
documentation.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Ooh, very nice. I'll try to incorporate those commands into my daily
repertoire.

Jeremy

···

On 10/18/07, Eric Firing <efiring@...202...> wrote:

Jeremy Conlin wrote:
> On 10/18/07, Eric Firing <efiring@...202...> wrote:
>> Jeremy Conlin wrote:
>>> On 10/17/07, Charles Seaton <cseaton@...1743...> wrote:
>>>> Jeremy,
>>>>
>>>> I ran across the answer to this last week while searching the list for
>>>> info on datestr2num (both subjects happened to come up in the same
>>>> exchange).
>>>>
>>>> http://www.nabble.com/First-impression-from-a-new-user-tf1716894.html#a4662446
>>>>
>>>> plot(x, y, linestyle='*steps*')
>>>>
>>>> Charles Seaton
>>>
>>> Well that's great! (I should have at least tried making such a plot
>>> before posting. Sorry.) How come I couldn't find it in the
>>> documentation? I can't find anything about available linestyles. Am
>>> I looking the wrong location? I am looking at users_guide_0.9.0.pdf
>> The user's guide tends to lag. To find the latest features, look at the
>> CHANGELOG, the examples, and the docstrings. Ipython is a big help for
>> looking at docstrings and trying things out. Are you familiar with it?
>>
>> Eric
>>
>
> I am familiar with IPython and use it all the time as a replacement
> for the standard Python interpreter. I don't always use the extra
> features it offers. I just did
>
> help pylab.plot

Even easier:

pylab.plot?

And for more detail (but mostly useful for matplotlib modules and
functions rather than for their pylab wrappers), use two question marks
to view the source code.

To see available functions or attributes, use tab completion.

Eric

>
> and there it was, what the available linestyles. Again lesson
> learned, read the (available) documentation before asking the
> questions. It is sometimes confusing where to go for the
> documentation.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy