Contouring a large set of ungridded data

I still think it's worth talking to the author, however. As

I emailed him yesterday. No response yet though.

> Another, semi-related, thought: I feel strongly that MPL
    > should focus on being a plotting library, NOT a full blown
    > computational environment. That should be the focus of
    > SciPy. Therefore, code to interpolate unstructured data
    > would be better put into SciPy than MPL. Same licensing
    > issues, of course.

I think all of the mpl math/stats stuff will eventually end up in
scipy as matplotlib becomes more tightly integrated with the new
scipy. I've talked to Travis about that on a number of occasions and
he is pulling some stuff out of mlab already.

I think it is fine and good to put this kind of stuff into matplotlib
in the meantime while we get the integration and installation issues
sorted out.

JDH

John Hunter wrote:

I think it is fine and good to put this kind of stuff into matplotlib
in the meantime while we get the integration and installation issues
sorted out.

I agree. It's certainly good that there is a home for it somewhere! I'm glad to hear that you do have better matplotlib-Scipy integration in mind....things are really looking up!

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

NOAA/OR&R/HAZMAT (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

Hi all,
I'm an absolute lurker here, so forgive me if my suggestions are useless. Anyway, some time ago I've found this library <http://gts.sourceforge.net/> that could be of some help. Or perhaps it's a complete different beast and I'm out of the way to go...

HTH,
  Andrea

Andrea Riciputi wrote:

Hi all,
I'm an absolute lurker here, so forgive me if my suggestions are useless. Anyway, some time ago I've found this library <http://gts.sourceforge.net/&gt; that could be of some help. Or perhaps it's a complete different beast and I'm out of the way to go...

HTH,
Andrea

Andrea: There are lots of things that would work well - but the licensing is a problem. GTS is GPL, we need something with a less restrictive license (more like Python's).

-Jeff

···

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist FAX : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/CDC R/CDC1 Email : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...259...
325 Broadway Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : Jeffrey S. Whitaker: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

Andrea: There are lots of things that would work well - but the licensing is a problem. GTS is GPL, we need something with a less restrictive license (more like Python's).

No, it's LGPL, which is much better, but maybe still not OK for mpl. I guess the problem is that mpl is kind of a library of libraries, rather than an application, so it would be awkward to have mixed licenses in it.

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

NOAA/OR&R/HAZMAT (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

Chris and others,

Chris Barker wrote:

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

No, it's LGPL, which is much better, but maybe still not OK for mpl. I guess the problem is that mpl is kind of a library of libraries, rather than an application, so it would be awkward to have mixed licenses in it.

I don't understand this. Why can't the mpl license simply say that it applies to all components that do not cite other licenses, and then leave the reference to the original license in any code such as GTS which has another license? This is not a plea for or against GTS or any other particular package, but rather an expression of puzzlement and frustration that we seem to be finding free software licenses limiting instead of liberating.

Eric

I suggested GTS exactly because I remembered that it is LGPL, and I thought it would had been ok for your needs. But I must admit that I know very little about licences.

Andrea

···

On Oct 21, 2005, at 18:32 , Chris Barker wrote:

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

-Chris