colorbar() and plt.title()

Hi,
I've got two questions:
1) one is related to colorbar() on multiple subfigures (see code example below): how do I add a scatterplot if I wanted multiple subfigures? Or, what am I doing wrong in the second code example
2) in either of the examples, how can I increase the distance between the top of the plot (imshow) and the bottom of the title?

# code example 1: this works
fig = plt.figure()
plt.title('Hello')
plt.imshow(interpolValsRas, cmap=cm.jet, interpolation='nearest', origin = 'lower', extent=[5,95,5,95]) # ,
plt.scatter(measurementLoc[:,0], measurementLoc[:,1], 10, messwerte, cmap=cm.jet)
plt.colorbar();

# code example 2: this works generally, but only if the second last line is commented out
# Q: how do I add a scatterplot if I wanted multiple subfigures?
fig = plt.figure()
ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
plt.title('Hello')
ax.imshow(interpolValsRas, cmap=cm.jet, interpolation='nearest', origin = 'lower', extent=[5,95,5,95]) # ,
ax.scatter(measurementLoc[:,0], measurementLoc[:,1], 10, messwerte, cmap=cm.jet)
# plt.colorbar();
plt.show()

Thanks for your help,
Claus

Try this:

from pylab import *
from numpy import *

Z = random.randn(100,100)

figure()
subplot(1,2,1)
imgHandle = imshow(Z, cmap=cm.gray)
scatter(random.rand(10)*100,random.rand(10)*100)
colorbar(imgHandle)
title('Hello')
show()

By the way, I find jet a bad colormap to represent scientific data: it suggests bands in the data that aren't there and when reduced to luminance (eg. students printing/copying in black/white or in the eyes of all your colorblind colleagues) the two halves of the scale are identical, rendering all graphs completely ambiguous. :wink:

Claus wrote:

ยทยทยท

Hi,
I've got two questions: 1) one is related to colorbar() on multiple subfigures (see code example below): how do I add a scatterplot if I wanted multiple subfigures? Or, what am I doing wrong in the second code example
2) in either of the examples, how can I increase the distance between the top of the plot (imshow) and the bottom of the title?

fig = plt.figure()
plt.title('Hello')
plt.imshow(interpolValsRas, cmap=cm.jet, interpolation='nearest', origin = 'lower', extent=[5,95,5,95]) # , plt.scatter(measurementLoc[:,0], measurementLoc[:,1], 10, messwerte, cmap=cm.jet)
plt.colorbar();

# code example 2: this works generally, but only if the second last line is commented out
fig = plt.figure()
plt.title('Hello')
ax.imshow(interpolValsRas, cmap=cm.jet, interpolation='nearest', origin = 'lower', extent=[5,95,5,95]) # , ax.scatter(measurementLoc[:,0], measurementLoc[:,1], 10, messwerte, cmap=cm.jet)
# plt.colorbar();
plt.show()

Thanks for your help,
Claus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

Hi,
I've got two questions:
1) one is related to colorbar() on multiple subfigures (see code example below): how do I add a scatterplot if I wanted multiple subfigures? Or, what am I doing wrong in the second code example

fig = plt.figure()
plt.title('Hello')
plt.imshow(interpolValsRas, cmap=cm.jet, interpolation='nearest', origin = 'lower', extent=[5,95,5,95]) # ,
plt.scatter(measurementLoc[:,0], measurementLoc[:,1], 10, messwerte, cmap=cm.jet)
plt.colorbar();

fig = plt.figure()
plt.title('Hello')
ax.imshow(interpolValsRas, cmap=cm.jet, interpolation='nearest', origin = 'lower', extent=[5,95,5,95]) # ,
ax.scatter(measurementLoc[:,0], measurementLoc[:,1], 10, messwerte, cmap=cm.jet)
# plt.colorbar();
plt.show()

Thanks for your help,
Claus