check pylab before upcoming release

A new mpl release is coming soon. One of the changes is that there is a new matplotlib.pyplot module that has only the plotting parts of the pylab interface. The pylab module still imports from oldnumeric, so it still has the old Numeric-style upper case types (Float64 instead of float64, etc.), but it gets its plotting capabilities from pyplot.

The old pylab namespace was very crowded, with many ways of getting some functions and modules. Via pyplot it has been simplified somewhat. This means that if it stays the way it is, some user code will break--something that used to be there will be missing.

So far, no svn user has complained. If you are concerned about possible breakage of your code, however, please check now to see if there is a problem. If you can make a good argument that something I have left out of pyplot (and therefore pylab) should go back in, I will be happy to consider it. But for the long run we do want to slim these things down, regularize them, and deprecate the old Numeric compatibility names, defaults, and functionality. A future version of pylab may be little more than

from matplotlib.pyplot import *
from numpy import *

Eric

Eric Firing wrote:

A new mpl release is coming soon. One of the changes is that there is a new matplotlib.pyplot module that has only the plotting parts of the pylab interface. The pylab module still imports from oldnumeric, so it still has the old Numeric-style upper case types (Float64 instead of float64, etc.), but it gets its plotting capabilities from pyplot.

My statement above is already obsolete. We decided to move faster on the transition to numpy. Pylab in svn now imports nothing from oldnumeric unless you edit pylab.py, changing a "False" to a "True".

Eric

ยทยทยท

The old pylab namespace was very crowded, with many ways of getting some functions and modules. Via pyplot it has been simplified somewhat. This means that if it stays the way it is, some user code will break--something that used to be there will be missing.

So far, no svn user has complained. If you are concerned about possible breakage of your code, however, please check now to see if there is a problem. If you can make a good argument that something I have left out of pyplot (and therefore pylab) should go back in, I will be happy to consider it. But for the long run we do want to slim these things down, regularize them, and deprecate the old Numeric compatibility names, defaults, and functionality. A future version of pylab may be little more than

from matplotlib.pyplot import *
from numpy import *

Eric

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems? Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/