Can't install matplotlib on OS X with PIP

Hi all,

This is my first time setting up matplotlib.

I’m on OS X Lion 10.7 (build 11A511s, so no updates done to the initial release of OS X Lion).

I am using virtualenv and pip to do the installation.

I’m aware of the incompatibility with libpng 1.5, so I didn’t just run “pip install matplotlib”… instead…

I tried running this from inside the virtualenv:

“pip install -e git+https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib#egg=matplotlib-dev

Looks like it starts installing, but then I get this error:

/Users/myusername/.virtualenvs/nltk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/__multiarray_api.h:1532: warning: ‘int _import_array()’ defined but not used

lipo: can’t open input file: /var/folders/wy/s1jr354d4xx7dk0lpdpbpsbc0000gn/T//ccfNUhyq.out (No such file or directory)

error: command ‘llvm-gcc-4.2’ failed with exit status 1

···

Command /Users/sameerfx/.virtualenvs/nltk/bin/python -c “import setuptools; file=’/Users/sameerfx/.virtualenvs/nltk/src/matplotlib/setup.py’; exec(compile(open(file).read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’), file, ‘exec’))” develop --no-deps failed with error code 1
Storing complete log in /Users/sameerfx/.pip/pip.log

Hi all,

This is my first time setting up matplotlib.

I’m on OS X Lion 10.7 (build 11A511s, so no updates done to the initial release of OS X Lion).

I am using virtualenv and pip to do the installation.

I’m aware of the incompatibility with libpng 1.5, so I didn’t just run “pip install matplotlib”… instead…

I tried running this from inside the virtualenv:

“pip install -e git+https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib#egg=matplotlib-dev

Looks like it starts installing, but then I get this error:

/Users/myusername/.virtualenvs/nltk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/__multiarray_api.h:1532: warning: ‘int _import_array()’ defined but not used

lipo: can’t open input file: /var/folders/wy/s1jr354d4xx7dk0lpdpbpsbc0000gn/T//ccfNUhyq.out (No such file or directory)

error: command ‘llvm-gcc-4.2’ failed with exit status 1

···

Command /Users/sameerfx/.virtualenvs/nltk/bin/python -c “import setuptools; file=’/Users/sameerfx/.virtualenvs/nltk/src/matplotlib/setup.py’; exec(compile(open(file).read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’), file, ‘exec’))” develop --no-deps failed with error code 1

Storing complete log in /Users/sameerfx/.pip/pip.log