Build Failure on Windows using Python25

Greetings,

I have previously been able to build matplotlib on my Windows Vista
machine using both Python25 and Python26. However, after my latest
update to SVN, I'm no longer able to build matplotlib on my Windows
machine (but am with my gentoo box). Below is the output from the
build log using Python25 (which failed). Ryan May and I did a little
digging we're thinking that either MSVC doesn't like uint8_t, or it
needs some missing header that isn't already included so that it knows
what unit8_t is.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, has anyone overcome this?

···

============================================================================
BUILDING MATPLOTLIB
            matplotlib: 0.98.6svn
                python: 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC
                        v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
              platform: win32
       Windows version: (6, 0, 6001, 2, 'Service Pack 1')

REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
                 numpy: 1.3.0.dev6338
             freetype2: found, but unknown version (no pkg-config)

OPTIONAL BACKEND DEPENDENCIES
                libpng: found, but unknown version (no pkg-config)
               Tkinter: Tkinter: 67737, Tk: 8.4, Tcl: 8.4
              wxPython: 2.8.9.1
                        * WxAgg extension not required for wxPython >= 2.8
                  Gtk+: no
                        * Building for Gtk+ requires pygtk; you must be able
                        * to "import gtk" in your build/install environment
       Mac OS X native: no
                    Qt: no
                   Qt4: no
                 Cairo: no

OPTIONAL DATE/TIMEZONE DEPENDENCIES
              datetime: present, version unknown
              dateutil: matplotlib will provide
                  pytz: 2008c

OPTIONAL USETEX DEPENDENCIES
                dvipng: no
           ghostscript: no
                 latex: no
               pdftops: no

[Edit setup.cfg to suppress the above messages]

pymods ['pylab']
packages ['matplotlib', 'matplotlib.backends',
'matplotlib.projections', 'mpl_toolkits', 'matplotlib.numerix',
'matplotlib.numerix.mlab', 'matplotlib.numerix.ma',
'matplotlib.numerix.npyma', 'matplotlib.numerix.linear_algebra',
'matplotlib.numerix.random_array', 'matplotlib.numerix.fft',
'matplotlib.delaunay', 'pytz', 'dateutil', 'dateutil/zoneinfo']
running build
running build_py
copying lib\matplotlib\mpl-data\matplotlibrc ->
build\lib.win32-2.5\matplotlib\mpl-data
copying lib\matplotlib\mpl-data\matplotlib.conf ->
build\lib.win32-2.5\matplotlib\mpl-data
running build_ext
building 'matplotlib._path' extension
D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2003\bin\cl.exe /c /nologo
/Ox /MD /W3 /GX /DNDEBUG
-ID:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\include
-Iwin32_static\include -I.
-ID:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\include -Isrc
-Iagg24/include -I. -ID:\Python25\include -ID:\Python25\PC
/Tpsrc/path.cpp /Fobuild\temp.win32-2.5\Release\src/path.obj
path.cpp
src\path.cpp(356) : warning C4800: 'long' : forcing value to bool
'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
src\path.cpp(566) : warning C4800: 'long' : forcing value to bool
'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
src\path.cpp(867) : warning C4800: 'long' : forcing value to bool
'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
src\path.cpp(1209) : error C2065: 'uint8_t' : undeclared identifier
src\path.cpp(1209) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1209) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1226) : error C3861: 'uint8_t': identifier not found,
even with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1226) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1226) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1241) : error C2662: 'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>::reserve' :
cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'std::vector' to
'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax> &'
        Reason: cannot convert from 'std::vector' to 'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>'
        Conversion requires a second user-defined-conversion operator
or constructor
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C3861: 'uint8_t': identifier not found,
even with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2133: 'codes' : unknown size
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2512: 'std::vector' : no appropriate
default constructor available
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2262: 'codes' : cannot be destroyed
src\path.cpp(1313) : error C3861: 'codes': identifier not found, even
with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1315) : error C2662: 'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>::size' :
cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'std::vector' to 'const
std::vector<_Ty,_Ax> &'
        Reason: cannot convert from 'std::vector' to 'const
std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>'
        Conversion requires a second user-defined-conversion operator
or constructor
src\path.cpp(1315) : error C3861: 'codes': identifier not found, even
with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1337) : error C2070: ''unknown-type'': illegal sizeof operand
src\path.cpp(1337) : error C3861: 'codes': identifier not found, even
with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1337) : error C3861: 'uint8_t': identifier not found,
even with argument-dependent lookup error: command '"D:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2003\bin\cl.exe"' failed with exit
status 2

--
Patrick Marsh
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma
http://www.patricktmarsh.com

Patrick,

Can you see if adding "#include <stdint.h>" at the top of src/path.cpp
will do the job?

I'm not super-optimistic, though -- I think this is defined by the C99
standard, which I'm not sure Microsoft supports.

-Andrew

Patrick Marsh wrote:

···

Greetings,

I have previously been able to build matplotlib on my Windows Vista
machine using both Python25 and Python26. However, after my latest
update to SVN, I'm no longer able to build matplotlib on my Windows
machine (but am with my gentoo box). Below is the output from the
build log using Python25 (which failed). Ryan May and I did a little
digging we're thinking that either MSVC doesn't like uint8_t, or it
needs some missing header that isn't already included so that it knows
what unit8_t is.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, has anyone overcome this?

============================================================================
BUILDING MATPLOTLIB
            matplotlib: 0.98.6svn
                python: 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC
                        v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
              platform: win32
       Windows version: (6, 0, 6001, 2, 'Service Pack 1')

REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
                 numpy: 1.3.0.dev6338
             freetype2: found, but unknown version (no pkg-config)

OPTIONAL BACKEND DEPENDENCIES
                libpng: found, but unknown version (no pkg-config)
               Tkinter: Tkinter: 67737, Tk: 8.4, Tcl: 8.4
              wxPython: 2.8.9.1
                        * WxAgg extension not required for wxPython >= 2.8
                  Gtk+: no
                        * Building for Gtk+ requires pygtk; you must be able
                        * to "import gtk" in your build/install environment
       Mac OS X native: no
                    Qt: no
                   Qt4: no
                 Cairo: no

OPTIONAL DATE/TIMEZONE DEPENDENCIES
              datetime: present, version unknown
              dateutil: matplotlib will provide
                  pytz: 2008c

OPTIONAL USETEX DEPENDENCIES
                dvipng: no
           ghostscript: no
                 latex: no
               pdftops: no

[Edit setup.cfg to suppress the above messages]

pymods ['pylab']
packages ['matplotlib', 'matplotlib.backends',
'matplotlib.projections', 'mpl_toolkits', 'matplotlib.numerix',
'matplotlib.numerix.mlab', 'matplotlib.numerix.ma',
'matplotlib.numerix.npyma', 'matplotlib.numerix.linear_algebra',
'matplotlib.numerix.random_array', 'matplotlib.numerix.fft',
'matplotlib.delaunay', 'pytz', 'dateutil', 'dateutil/zoneinfo']
running build
running build_py
copying lib\matplotlib\mpl-data\matplotlibrc ->
build\lib.win32-2.5\matplotlib\mpl-data
copying lib\matplotlib\mpl-data\matplotlib.conf ->
build\lib.win32-2.5\matplotlib\mpl-data
running build_ext
building 'matplotlib._path' extension
D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2003\bin\cl.exe /c /nologo
/Ox /MD /W3 /GX /DNDEBUG
-ID:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\include
-Iwin32_static\include -I.
-ID:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\include -Isrc
-Iagg24/include -I. -ID:\Python25\include -ID:\Python25\PC
/Tpsrc/path.cpp /Fobuild\temp.win32-2.5\Release\src/path.obj
path.cpp
src\path.cpp(356) : warning C4800: 'long' : forcing value to bool
'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
src\path.cpp(566) : warning C4800: 'long' : forcing value to bool
'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
src\path.cpp(867) : warning C4800: 'long' : forcing value to bool
'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
src\path.cpp(1209) : error C2065: 'uint8_t' : undeclared identifier
src\path.cpp(1209) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1209) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1226) : error C3861: 'uint8_t': identifier not found,
even with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1226) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1226) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1241) : error C2662: 'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>::reserve' :
cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'std::vector' to
'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax> &'
        Reason: cannot convert from 'std::vector' to 'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>'
        Conversion requires a second user-defined-conversion operator
or constructor
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C3861: 'uint8_t': identifier not found,
even with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2955: 'std::vector' : use of class
template requires template argument list
        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
2003\include\vector(896) : see declaration of 'std::vector'
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2133: 'codes' : unknown size
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2512: 'std::vector' : no appropriate
default constructor available
src\path.cpp(1310) : error C2262: 'codes' : cannot be destroyed
src\path.cpp(1313) : error C3861: 'codes': identifier not found, even
with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1315) : error C2662: 'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>::size' :
cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'std::vector' to 'const
std::vector<_Ty,_Ax> &'
        Reason: cannot convert from 'std::vector' to 'const
std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>'
        Conversion requires a second user-defined-conversion operator
or constructor
src\path.cpp(1315) : error C3861: 'codes': identifier not found, even
with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1337) : error C2070: ''unknown-type'': illegal sizeof operand
src\path.cpp(1337) : error C3861: 'codes': identifier not found, even
with argument-dependent lookup
src\path.cpp(1337) : error C3861: 'uint8_t': identifier not found,
even with argument-dependent lookup error: command '"D:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2003\bin\cl.exe"' failed with exit
status 2

Well, we’re also talking about C++ here and not C, so C99 does not apply. A quick googling around seems to indicate that some of the open source compilers support such a type, but it not standardized by C++.

Ryan

···

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@…36…> wrote:

Patrick,

Can you see if adding “#include <stdint.h>” at the top of src/path.cpp

will do the job?

I’m not super-optimistic, though – I think this is defined by the C99

standard, which I’m not sure Microsoft supports.


Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

Ryan May wrote:

···

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@…36… > <mailto:strawman@…36…>> wrote:

    Patrick,

    Can you see if adding "#include <stdint.h>" at the top of src/path.cpp
    will do the job?

    I'm not super-optimistic, though -- I think this is defined by the C99
    standard, which I'm not sure Microsoft supports.

Well, we're also talking about C++ here and not C, so C99 does not
apply. A quick googling around seems to indicate that some of the
open source compilers support such a type, but it not standardized by C++.

There is no <stdint.h> or the type is not defined in stdint.h?

Maybe as a workaround you could use mingw...

I meant that uint8_t is not a standardized C++ type. If that’s the case, wouldn’t it be better to tweak the code to use something standard rather than just use a compiler that supports the non-standard type? Especially given that the official Python 2.5 build uses this compiler?

Ryan

···

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@…272…36…> wrote:

Ryan May wrote:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@…36… > > mailto:strawman@...36...> wrote:

Patrick,
Can you see if adding "#include <stdint.h>" at the top of src/path.cpp
will do the job?
I'm not super-optimistic, though -- I think this is defined by the C99
standard, which I'm not sure Microsoft supports.

Well, we’re also talking about C++ here and not C, so C99 does not

apply. A quick googling around seems to indicate that some of the

open source compilers support such a type, but it not standardized by C++.

There is no <stdint.h> or the type is not defined in stdint.h?

Maybe as a workaround you could use mingw…


Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

Ryan May wrote:
>
> Patrick,
>
> Can you see if adding "#include <stdint.h>" at the top of
> src/path.cpp
> will do the job?
>
> I'm not super-optimistic, though -- I think this is defined by the
> C99
> standard, which I'm not sure Microsoft supports.
>
>
> Well, we're also talking about C++ here and not C, so C99 does not
> apply. A quick googling around seems to indicate that some of the
> open source compilers support such a type, but it not standardized by
> C++.
There is no <stdint.h> or the type is not defined in stdint.h?

Maybe as a workaround you could use mingw...

I meant that uint8_t is not a standardized C++ type. If that's the case,
wouldn't it be better to tweak the code to use something standard rather
than just use a compiler that supports the non-standard type? Especially
given that the official Python 2.5 build uses this compiler?

Please stick with standard types.

And MSVC 2005 and higher do have C99 support, it is just unfortunate
that it is not complete.

Ryan

Cheers,

Michael

···

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Ryan May <rmay31@...149...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@...36...> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@…36… >> > <mailto:strawman@…36…>> wrote:

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code
to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

Just getting to this thread now -- I think this was introduced in my recent changes. I'm used to being on platforms where this is defined, so I forgot that it's not always there.

In this specific case "unsigned char" is probably equivalent everywhere we run, so we might as well just do that. If a Windows user can verify that fix works, I'll fix it in SVN.

Mike

Michael Abshoff wrote:

···

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Ryan May <rmay31@...149...> wrote:
  

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@...36...> wrote:
    

Ryan May wrote:
      

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@…36… >>>> <mailto:strawman@…36…>> wrote:

    Patrick,

    Can you see if adding "#include <stdint.h>" at the top of
src/path.cpp
    will do the job?

    I'm not super-optimistic, though -- I think this is defined by the
C99
    standard, which I'm not sure Microsoft supports.

Well, we're also talking about C++ here and not C, so C99 does not
apply. A quick googling around seems to indicate that some of the
open source compilers support such a type, but it not standardized by
C++.
        

There is no <stdint.h> or the type is not defined in stdint.h?

Maybe as a workaround you could use mingw...
      

I meant that uint8_t is not a standardized C++ type. If that's the case,
wouldn't it be better to tweak the code to use something standard rather
than just use a compiler that supports the non-standard type? Especially
given that the official Python 2.5 build uses this compiler?
    
Please stick with standard types.

And MSVC 2005 and higher do have C99 support, it is just unfortunate
that it is not complete.

Ryan
    
Cheers,

Michael

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code
to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

I just tried this fix and was able to build on Windows Vista.

-Patrick

···

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...> wrote:

Just getting to this thread now -- I think this was introduced in my
recent changes. I'm used to being on platforms where this is defined,
so I forgot that it's not always there.

In this specific case "unsigned char" is probably equivalent everywhere
we run, so we might as well just do that. If a Windows user can verify
that fix works, I'll fix it in SVN.

Mike

Michael Abshoff wrote:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Ryan May <rmay31@...149...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@...36...> wrote:

Ryan May wrote:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@…36… >>>>> <mailto:strawman@…36…>> wrote:

    Patrick,

    Can you see if adding "#include <stdint.h>" at the top of
src/path.cpp
    will do the job?

    I'm not super-optimistic, though -- I think this is defined by the
C99
    standard, which I'm not sure Microsoft supports.

Well, we're also talking about C++ here and not C, so C99 does not
apply. A quick googling around seems to indicate that some of the
open source compilers support such a type, but it not standardized by
C++.

There is no <stdint.h> or the type is not defined in stdint.h?

Maybe as a workaround you could use mingw...

I meant that uint8_t is not a standardized C++ type. If that's the case,
wouldn't it be better to tweak the code to use something standard rather
than just use a compiler that supports the non-standard type? Especially
given that the official Python 2.5 build uses this compiler?

Please stick with standard types.

And MSVC 2005 and higher do have C99 support, it is just unfortunate
that it is not complete.

Ryan

Cheers,

Michael

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code
to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

--
Patrick Marsh
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma
http://www.patricktmarsh.com

Thanks for the report. I'll make the change in SVN.

[For those planning the next bugfix release: this only affects the trunk.]

Mike

Patrick Marsh wrote:

···

I just tried this fix and was able to build on Windows Vista.

-Patrick

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@...31...> wrote:
  

Just getting to this thread now -- I think this was introduced in my
recent changes. I'm used to being on platforms where this is defined,
so I forgot that it's not always there.

In this specific case "unsigned char" is probably equivalent everywhere
we run, so we might as well just do that. If a Windows user can verify
that fix works, I'll fix it in SVN.

Mike

Michael Abshoff wrote:
    

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Ryan May <rmay31@...149...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@...36...> wrote:

Ryan May wrote:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman@…36… >>>>>> <mailto:strawman@…36…>> wrote:

    Patrick,

    Can you see if adding "#include <stdint.h>" at the top of
src/path.cpp
    will do the job?

    I'm not super-optimistic, though -- I think this is defined by the
C99
    standard, which I'm not sure Microsoft supports.

Well, we're also talking about C++ here and not C, so C99 does not
apply. A quick googling around seems to indicate that some of the
open source compilers support such a type, but it not standardized by
C++.

There is no <stdint.h> or the type is not defined in stdint.h?

Maybe as a workaround you could use mingw...

I meant that uint8_t is not a standardized C++ type. If that's the case,
wouldn't it be better to tweak the code to use something standard rather
than just use a compiler that supports the non-standard type? Especially
given that the official Python 2.5 build uses this compiler?

Please stick with standard types.

And MSVC 2005 and higher do have C99 support, it is just unfortunate
that it is not complete.

Ryan

Cheers,

Michael

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code
to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute
Operated by AURA for NASA