bug with installation from KUBUNTU aptitude

hi matplotlib developers and users,
let me inform you about the bug:
when I use
sudo aptitude install python-matplotlib
it downloads LOTS of auxilary packages (IIRC about 200 MB for download and 400 MB for HDD after unpack, or kind of), still it doesn't work after installation, it yields

ImportError: No module named _tkinter, please install the python-tk package

when I install python-tk (1.7 MB for download, very small size in comparison with those 400 MB), all works OK.

I hope you will have it fixed.
Regards, Dmitrey

Dmitrey ha scritto:

let me inform you about the bug:
when I use
sudo aptitude install python-matplotlib
it downloads LOTS of auxilary packages (IIRC about 200 MB for download and 400 MB for HDD after unpack, or kind of), still it doesn't work after installation, it yields

when I install python-tk (1.7 MB for download, very small size in comparison with those 400 MB), all works OK.

This is a dependency bug of the Kubuntu packaging system. It is most probably unrelated to Matplotlib upstream developement. You should report it to the Kubuntu bugzilla (after having looked if it has already been filed).

By the way, the LOTS of ausiliary packages are most probably as needed as python-tk to make it work. Don't really understand what you mean by those kind of comparisons, but all complex packages have dependencies. It just seems Kubuntu missed one.

Thanks,
Massimo

massimo sandal wrote:

Dmitrey ha scritto:

after installation, it yields

all complex packages have dependencies. It just seems Kubuntu missed one.

Maybe, Maybe not -- MPL is perfectly usable without tk -- you just can't use the tk back-end. If someone is going to use it with GTK, or wx, or to generate images for a web app, they don't need TK, for instance, and may not want it installed.

However, it looks like MPL is setting TK as the default back-end, so maybe TK should be a dependency if they're doing that.

-Chris

ยทยทยท

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...