bdist-rpm problem

Hi, All,

A week or so ago, I posted to matplotlib-users about a problem with bdist_rpm. I'd asked about python 2.3 on Fedora Core 1.

It turns out there are two problems. One is that even if one has python2.3 and python2.2 installed, bdist_rpm always calls the interpreter named 'python', which is 2.2 on FC1. The other problem is that in bdist_rpm.py there is a set of lines near line 307 which tests if the number of generated RPM files is 1. This fails because all of matplotlib, numeric, numarray and scipy generate a debuginfo RPM when one does 'python setup.py bdist_rpm'. (Why the RPM count doesn't fail with Python 2.3 on FC3 is beyond me, but nevermind.) The patch is at

http://opensvn.csie.org/pyvault/rpms/trunk/python23/python-2.3.4-distutils-bdist-rpm.patch

and I have verified that after applying this patch to /usr/lib/python2.2/distutils/command/bdist_rpm.py on FC1 that 'python setup.py bdist_rpm' works for numarray 1.2.2, scipy current CVS, and matplotlib 0.72 (after changing setup.py for python2.2 as documented in the latter). It still fails with Numeric 23.6 however for reasons I'm still checking into; the failed "setup.py bdist_rpm" claims that arraytypes.c doesn't exist.

Steve Walton

Stephen Walton wrote:

[bdist_rpm] still fails with Numeric 23.6 however for reasons I'm still checking into;

Posted too soon; this problem is fixed at Numeric 23.7.

Using `bdist_rpm --fix-python` should take care of this issue.

Pearu

ยทยทยท

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Stephen Walton wrote:

Hi, All,

A week or so ago, I posted to matplotlib-users about a problem with bdist_rpm. I'd asked about python 2.3 on Fedora Core 1.

It turns out there are two problems. One is that even if one has python2.3 and python2.2 installed, bdist_rpm always calls the interpreter named 'python', which is 2.2 on FC1.

Stephen Walton wrote:

Hi, All,

It turns out there are two problems. One is that even if one has python2.3 and python2.2 installed, bdist_rpm always calls the interpreter named 'python', which is 2.2 on FC1. The other problem is

You need to 'fix' the python version to be called inside the actual rpm build. From the ipython release script:

# A 2.4-specific RPM, where we must use the --fix-python option to ensure that
# the resulting RPM is really built with 2.4 (so things go to
# lib/python2.4/...)
python2.4 ./setup.py bdist_rpm --release=py24 --fix-python

that in bdist_rpm.py there is a set of lines near line 307 which tests if the number of generated RPM files is 1. This fails because all of matplotlib, numeric, numarray and scipy generate a debuginfo RPM when one does 'python setup.py bdist_rpm'. (Why the RPM count doesn't fail with Python 2.3 on FC3 is beyond me, but nevermind.) The patch is at

This problem has been fixed in recent 2.3 and 2.4. 2.2 still has it.

Best,

f