basemap.transform_scalar usage

Brian Donovan wrote:

basemap folks,

I'm trying to understand how the transform_scalar function works. What are the units of the native projection grid and how are they determined? I'm trying to scale a scalar data field and overlay it on the map. Does the location of the origin matter when I do this? To be clear here's what I'm trying to do.

1) I have a Numeric array with a scalar field
2) I want to overlay this onto a map projection
3) The data is slightly larger than the map area (in terms of latitude and longitude)
4) From the examples it seams like transform_scalar and then imshow can be used to show the data
5) I can't seem to use transform_scalar properly

Thanks is advance,

Brian

Brian: I'm going to assume your data (latlondata) is on a latitude/longitude grid with latitudes lats and longitude lons, and you have created a Basemap instance for your projection regrion (m). Then, to create a nx by ny grid to overlay on the map, all you need is

xydata = m.transform_scalar(latlondata,lons,lats,nx,ny)

you can then overlay xydata on the map with

im = x.imshow(xydata, cm.jet)

You only need to do this to plot the data with imshow - with pcolor or contourf you can plot the data on the original lat/lon grid using

x,y = m(lons,lons)

cs = m.contourf(x,y,latlondata,20,cmap=cm.jet)

or

im = m.pcolor(x,y,latlondata,shading='flat',cmap=cm.jet)

HTH,

-Jeff

···

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist FAX : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/CDC R/CDC1 Email : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...259...
325 Broadway Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : http://tinyurl.com/5telg

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

Brian Donovan wrote:

basemap folks,

I'm trying to understand how the transform_scalar function works. What are the units of the native projection grid and how are they determined? I'm trying to scale a scalar data field and overlay it on the map. Does the location of the origin matter when I do this? To be clear here's what I'm trying to do.

3) The data is slightly larger than the map area (in terms of latitude and longitude)
4) From the examples it seams like transform_scalar and then imshow can be used to show the data

Thanks is advance,

Brian

Brian: I'm going to assume your data (latlondata) is on a latitude/longitude grid with latitudes lats and longitude lons, and you have created a Basemap instance for your projection regrion (m). Then, to create a nx by ny grid to overlay on the map, all you need is

You only need to do this to plot the data with imshow - with pcolor or contourf you can plot the data on the original lat/lon grid using

x,y = m(lons,lons)

or

HTH,

-Jeff

Brian:

One correction -

lons and lats are 1-d arrays describing the lat/lon grid, so instead of

x,y = m(lons,lats)

you'll need

lons, lats = pylab.meshgrid(lons, lats)
x, y = m(lons, lats)

-Jeff

···

--

Dr. Whitaker,

Thank you for helping me with this. My point of confusion is what should nx and ny contain when they are sent into the transform_scalar function:

Thanks,
Brian

···

On Nov 2, 2005, at 9:32 PM, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

Jeff Whitaker wrote:

Brian Donovan wrote:

basemap folks,

Thanks is advance,

Brian

x,y = m(lons,lons)

or

HTH,

-Jeff

Brian:

One correction -

lons and lats are 1-d arrays describing the lat/lon grid, so instead of

x,y = m(lons,lats)

you'll need

lons, lats = pylab.meshgrid(lons, lats)
x, y = m(lons, lats)

-Jeff

--

Brian Donovan wrote:

Dr. Whitaker,

Thank you for helping me with this. My point of confusion is what should nx and ny contain when they are sent into the transform_scalar function:

Brian: nx and ny define the resolution of the transformed grid - you should choose them so that the grid spacing on the transformed grid is at least as fine as the original lat/lon grid.

-Jeff

···

--