basemap problem

Hi, I recently installed basemap and python imaging library on my laptop. I have an i686 machine with fedora 16 on it. I just tried some test plots and basemap seems to work fine but according to the documentation to use the bluemarble(), etopo(), shadedrelief() and warpimage() instance methods I need PIL. SO I installed it via yum,

$ sudo yum install python-imaging.i686

however only the bluemarble method works. If I try any of the others I get the following error.

AttributeError Traceback (most recent call last)
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/utils/py3compat.pyc in execfile(fname, *where)
173 else:
174 filename = fname
–> 175 builtin.execfile(filename, *where)

/home/davcra/Desktop/python_scripts/blue_marble.py in ()
—> 12 m.shadedrelief()
13 plt.show()

AttributeError: ‘Basemap’ object has no attribute ‘shadedrelief’

Anyone know what I did wrong???
Thanks
David

David: You must not have the latest version of Basemap installed, the shadedrelief method was added in 1.0.2.

-Jeff

···

On 2/26/12 6:42 AM, David Craig wrote:

Hi, I recently installed basemap and python imaging library on my laptop. I have an i686 machine with fedora 16 on it. I just tried some test plots and basemap seems to work fine but according to the documentation to use the bluemarble(), etopo(), shadedrelief() and warpimage() instance methods I need PIL. SO I installed it via yum,

$ sudo yum install python-imaging.i686

however only the bluemarble method works. If I try any of the others I get the following error.

AttributeError Traceback (most recent call last)
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/utils/py3compat.pyc in execfile(fname, *where)
    173 else:
    174 filename = fname
--> 175 __builtin__.execfile(filename, *where)

/home/davcra/Desktop/python_scripts/blue_marble.py in <module>()
---> 12 m.shadedrelief()
     13 plt.show()

AttributeError: 'Basemap' object has no attribute 'shadedrelief'

Anyone know what I did wrong???
Thanks
David