basemap install problem for 64-Bit/x86_64 on os-x

I needed to update my python interpreter to 64-bit recently on my mac. I all my needed modules updated fine, including matplotlib, but basemap gives me trouble:

Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jan 29 2009, 15:27:04)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import numpy
>>> import matplotlib
>>> from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python64.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/basemap/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
     import _geoslib, netcdftime
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python64.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/_geoslib.so, 2): Symbol not found: _GEOSArea
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python64.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/_geoslib.so
   Expected in: dynamic lookup
>>>

Looking at the install of basemap closely I noticed some errors that make me wonder whether the geos libraries need to be compiled as 64-bit to work?

ld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.dylib, file is not of required architecture
  ld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libgeos.dylib, file is notld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.dylib, file is not of require
d architecture
  ld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libgeos.dylib, file is not of required architecture
  of required architecture
  ld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.dylib, file is not of required architecture
  ld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libgeos.dylib, file is not of required architecture

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Mike

P.S. Both matplotlib and basemap are from today's svn.

Mike wrote:

I needed to update my python interpreter to 64-bit recently on my mac. I all my needed modules updated fine, including matplotlib, but basemap gives me trouble:

Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jan 29 2009, 15:27:04)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import numpy
>>> import matplotlib
>>> from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python64.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/basemap/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
     import _geoslib, netcdftime
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python64.framework/Versions/ 2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/_geoslib.so, 2): Symbol not found: _GEOSArea
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python64.framework/Versions/ 2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/_geoslib.so
   Expected in: dynamic lookup
>>>

Looking at the install of basemap closely I noticed some errors that make me wonder whether the geos libraries need to be compiled as 64- bit to work?

Mike: Yes, I suspect that is the problem. Unfortunately, I've no idea how to fix that.

Even if you get beyond that though - I think you are going to run into problems with basemap/geos using python 2.6 and numpy 1.2.1. I've been waiting for a numpy 1.3 release that fully supports python 2.6 before digging into this.

-Jeff

···

ld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libgeos.dylib, file is notld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.dylib, file is not of require
d architecture
  of required architecture

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Mike

P.S. Both matplotlib and basemap are from today's svn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist FAX : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD R/PSD1 Email : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker@...259...
325 Broadway Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-113
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web : Jeffrey S. Whitaker: NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory

Looking at the install of basemap closely I noticed some errors that
make me wonder whether the geos libraries need to be compiled as 64-
bit to work?

Mike: Yes, I suspect that is the problem. Unfortunately, I've no idea
how to fix that.

Even if you get beyond that though - I think you are going to run into
problems with basemap/geos using python 2.6 and numpy 1.2.1. I've been
waiting for a numpy 1.3 release that fully supports python 2.6 before
digging into this.

···

Was this ever resolved? I am having the same basemap/geos error - "Symbol
not found: _GEOSArea"

I am using python 2.7 with numpy-1.6.1 for py 2.7. I made sure to use the
32 bit python to match with with the numpy version. I'm near at my wits
end, so any help would be awesome
--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/basemap-install-problem-for-64-Bit-x86_64-on-os-x-tp21921348p33132200.html
Sent from the matplotlib - users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.