basemap 0.9.9.1 - Leopard error importing

Hi,

I'm running a vanilla copy of Mac OS X 10.5.2 and just installed matplotlib-0.91.2, geos-2.2.3 and baselib-0.9.9.1 from their sources. The matplotlib examples work fine, but when trying to import baselib, it says it cannot find it:

>>> from matplotlib.toolkits.basemap import Basemap
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named basemap
>>>

Any idea of what could be happening? The lib is definitively on my path (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/)

Best,

Tiago

Tiago Ribeiro wrote:

Hi,

I'm running a vanilla copy of Mac OS X 10.5.2 and just installed matplotlib-0.91.2, geos-2.2.3 and baselib-0.9.9.1 from their sources. The matplotlib examples work fine, but when trying to import baselib, it says it cannot find it:

>>>

Any idea of what could be happening? The lib is definitively on my path (/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/)

Best,

Tiago

Tiago: This will happen if matplotlib is installed as an egg, due to a bug in the way toolkits are installed. Do you see a matplotlib*egg file in /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/ ?

If so, all I can suggest is reinstalling matplotlib the 'normal' way, i.e. python setup.py install. This bug is fixed in svn so this won't happen with the next release.

-Jeff

···

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC R/PSD1 FAX : (303)497-6449
325 Broadway Boulder, CO, USA 80305-3328

Thanks Jeff, I indeed had used the egg. Will try doing a standar install.

Tiago

···

On Mar 23, 2008, at 8:00 AM, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

Tiago Ribeiro wrote:

Hi,

>>>

Best,

Tiago

Tiago: This will happen if matplotlib is installed as an egg, due to a bug in the way toolkits are installed. Do you see a matplotlib*egg file in /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/ ?

If so, all I can suggest is reinstalling matplotlib the 'normal' way, i.e. python setup.py install. This bug is fixed in svn so this won't happen with the next release.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC R/PSD1 FAX : (303)497-6449
325 Broadway Boulder, CO, USA 80305-3328