Arrow class

Hi,

Based on John's advice in a previous post about designing an Arrow class (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9962785), i have restarted from scratch, defining the stem as a Line2D instance and the head as a RegularPolygon instance (for now, a triangle).

I can correctly set the orientation of the arrow head, and from debugging information, the class seems to be basically working. The class is imported in axes.py and i have defined the new methods add_arrow() and arrow() in Axes. Arrows are stored in a list called arrows (i know John advised to avoid the overhead of that---i am simply trying to get it to work first).

Now, i know i am missing something (and this must be at the heart of matplotlib): how are 'figure coordinates' transformed into 'axes corrdinates'? I guess it has to do with the 'transforms' module but.... For instance, if i say

arrow( [0,1], [0,1] )

with the intent of drawing an arrow from (0,0) to (1,1), i can't see the graphical result. Now if i say

arrow( [0,100], [0,100] )

I can see something (the arrow head). And this may or may not be the source of my 2nd problem: the arrow head is drawn, but not the stem (as in the thread linked to above). The draw() method of my Arrow class is very simple:

self._stem.draw(renderer)
    self._head.draw(renderer)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be happy to add spiff to the Arrow class once i have a basic version of it working and contribute it to matplotlib.

I can post some code if you would like; i just thought it would be too long in a mailing list...

Thanks,
Dominique

ps: Thanks for the matplotlib manual!

···

--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.296 / Virus Database: 265.6.3 - Release Date: 12/21/2004

This will be great.
I hope you will make sure the arrow head is
filled but not stroked, so that the tip ends
up precisely where desired.

Thank you,
Alan Isaac

···

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Dominique Orban apparently wrote:

Based on John's advice in a previous post about designing an Arrow class
(http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9962785), i have
restarted from scratch, defining the stem as a Line2D instance and the
head as a RegularPolygon instance (for now, a triangle).