Any update to plot_surface? Problem to set it in log scale

Hi,
I have some problems to plot a 3d plot_surface (and contour plot) in log scale (y and z or x,y and z).
There is nothink in the help sections of thus plot to plot them in log scale (neither in thus plot code commentary).
I tried to find a solution by myself (many try as “log=True”, “xscale=‘log’”, “scale=‘log’”, or “set_xscale(‘log’)”…) but it doesn’t work.
I tried to use “LogFormatter” (ticker) but i failed (maybe I am doing something wrong (I am a newbe) but i tried many things).
I try to found a solution on forums and this mailing list and what i found nearest of my problem is this topic:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3909794/plotting-mplot3d-axes3d-xyz-surface-plot-with-log-scale�

They said this problem had no solution. Is it true? have somebody solved this problem?

An other solution is to plot log(Data) and change ticks with “set_ticks” (for exemple) but it seems to only work with 2D plot. I tried too :frowning:

To be unterstanding easier, this is an exemple of the code to plot in log scale:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt# (i am under ‘1.0.0’)
import numpy as np

#Data
x = np.logspace(0, 4, 10)
y = np.logspace(0, 4, 10)
Z = np.arange(100).reshape((10,10))

#Min and Max for x,y and Z
minx=np.min(x)
maxx=np.max(x)
miny=np.min(y)
maxy=np.max(y)
minz=np.min(Z)
maxz=np.max(Z)

#figure
fig = plt.figure()
ax = fig.gca(projection='3d')

ax.plot_surface(X, Y, Z, rstride=8, cstride=8, alpha=0.3)
cset = ax.contour(X, Y, Z, zdir='z', offset=minz)
cset = ax.contour(X, Y, Z, zdir='x', offset=minx)
cset = ax.contour(X, Y, Z, zdir='y', offset=miny)

ax.set_xlabel("X")
ax.set_xlim3d(minx,maxx)
ax.set_ylabel("Y")
ax.set_ylim3d(miny,maxy)
ax.set_zlabel("Z")
ax.set_zlim3d(minz,maxz)
fig.savefig("plot00.png")

Has someone got a solution?
Thanks!
Regards,
Ga�l

2011/2/14 Gaël KANEKO <kanekogael@…32…>

Hi,
I have some problems to plot a 3d plot_surface (and contour plot) in log scale (y and z or x,y and z).
There is nothink in the help sections of thus plot to plot them in log scale (neither in thus plot code commentary).

I tried to find a solution by myself (many try as “log=True”, “xscale=‘log’”, “scale=‘log’”, or “set_xscale(‘log’)”…) but it doesn’t work.
I tried to use “LogFormatter” (ticker) but i failed (maybe I am doing something wrong (I am a newbe) but i tried many things).

I try to found a solution on forums and this mailing list and what i found nearest of my problem is this topic:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3909794/plotting-mplot3d-axes3d-xyz-surface-plot-with-log-scale

They said this problem had no solution. Is it true? have somebody solved this problem?

An other solution is to plot log(Data) and change ticks with “set_ticks” (for exemple) but it seems to only work with 2D plot. I tried too :frowning:

To be unterstanding easier, this is an exemple of the code to plot in log scale:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt# (i am under ‘1.0.0’)
import numpy as np

#Data
x = np.logspace(0, 4, 10)

y = np.logspace(0, 4, 10)
Z = np.arange(100).reshape((10,10))

#Min and Max for x,y and Z
minx=np.min(x)
maxx=np.max(x)
miny=np.min(y)
maxy=np.max(y)
minz=np.min(Z)

maxz=np.max(Z)

#figure
fig = plt.figure()
ax = fig.gca(projection='3d')

ax.plot_surface(X, Y, Z, rstride=8, cstride=8, alpha=0.3)
cset = ax.contour(X, Y, Z, zdir='z', offset=minz)

cset = ax.contour(X, Y, Z, zdir='x', offset=minx)
cset = ax.contour(X, Y, Z, zdir='y', offset=miny)

ax.set_xlabel("X")
ax.set_xlim3d(minx,maxx)
ax.set_ylabel("Y")

ax.set_ylim3d(miny,maxy)
ax.set_zlabel("Z")
ax.set_zlim3d(minz,maxz)
fig.savefig("plot00.png")

Has someone got a solution?
Thanks!
Regards,
Gaël

I can confirm (with a modified version of your script) that mplot3d does not properly handle non-linear scaling. While it is possible to set the axis scale through a command like:

ax.w_xaxis.set_scale(‘log’)

but the placement of the tickers are wrong and it fails because mplot3d does some weird stuff with the ticker formatter rather than just letting the formatter do its job.

I will look into this further to see if I can fix this.

Ben Root