Any news on wxMPL ?

Hi,

I am a wxMPL user. I use it as a component to blend MPL into a wx GUI for a data analysis application I develop ( http://code.google.com/p/hooke ).

I was extremly satisfied by that package, but I've noticed it doesn't play well with latest mpl and needs to be patched. Another wonderful guy on this list (Paulo Meira) managed to patch it get it working but I am receiving reports it could be still buggy and it is a completely unofficial patch.

I tried to wrote to Ken McIvor (wxmpl author) about this but received no answer.
So, I'd like to know:
- Is anyone able to contact Ken McIvor?
- Does anyone know about the wxmpl status?
- If wxmpl has been abandoned by its author, is there anyone interested (beyond myself) in continuing its development?

Thanks a lot,
Massimo

···

--
Massimo Sandal , Ph.D.
University of Bologna
Department of Biochemistry "G.Moruzzi"

snail mail:
Via Irnerio 48, 40126 Bologna, Italy

email:
massimo.sandal@...898...

web:
http://www.biocfarm.unibo.it/samori/people/sandal.html

tel: +39-051-2094388
fax: +39-051-2094387

massimo sandal wrote:

I tried to wrote to Ken McIvor (wxmpl author) about this but received no answer.

How long has it been -- he could be on vacation or something.

- If wxmpl has been abandoned by its author, is there anyone interested (beyond myself) in continuing its development?

Yes -- even if Ken does come back online, I'd like to see wxMPL hosted by the MPL project anyway -- it would be easier to find, and more likely to get tested and patched. Maybe as a toolkit?

I don't have a lot of time for it, but I need it too, so I'll help some.

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

I'd be happy to host it in the mpl_toolkits dir if someone brings it
up to 0.98 and will maintain it.

···

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker@...259...> wrote:

massimo sandal wrote:

I tried to wrote to Ken McIvor (wxmpl author) about this but received no
answer.

How long has it been -- he could be on vacation or something.

- If wxmpl has been abandoned by its author, is there anyone interested
(beyond myself) in continuing its development?

Yes -- even if Ken does come back online, I'd like to see wxMPL hosted
by the MPL project anyway -- it would be easier to find, and more likely
to get tested and patched. Maybe as a toolkit?

John Hunter wrote:

···

<Chris.Barker@...259...> wrote:

That would be great, John. I hope someone can take this on -- I'm doing non-MPL stuff at the moment, so I can't take it no right now. Maybe in the future.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

Christopher Barker ha scritto:

John Hunter wrote:

That would be great, John. I hope someone can take this on -- I'm doing
non-MPL stuff at the moment, so I can't take it no right now. Maybe in
the future.

I would be glad to help, however I'm very unsure about my skills! I'd
say I can try to test it these days and help trying to bring it to
compliance with 0.98 -but I can't do this alone.

In the meantime, would it be possible to host it somewhere in the mpl
svn? If not, I can open a google code page for it and use its svn until
it's ready.

m.

···

<Chris.Barker@...259...> wrote:

Massimo,

I'm sorry I didn't reply to your email. It fell through the cracks, so to speak.

WxMpl development has been stalled for quite some time now because I developed bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome this past spring. It was not my intention to leave it abandoned and incompatible with matplotlib, but I've been finding everything to be a bit of an uphill battle these days.

My current plan is to spend some time later this month bringing WxMpl up to date with the API changes. I'd be very pleased to see it hosted as a matplotlib toolkit, so I'll move it over once it's working properly. If someone wants to move the source over and start hacking on it in the interim, please be my guest.

Ken

···

On Nov 21, 2008, at 4:52 AM, massimo sandal wrote:

Hi,

I am a wxMPL user. I use it as a component to blend MPL into a wx GUI for a data analysis application I develop ( http://code.google.com/p/hooke ).

I was extremly satisfied by that package, but I've noticed it doesn't play well with latest mpl and needs to be patched. Another wonderful guy on this list (Paulo Meira) managed to patch it get it working but I am receiving reports it could be still buggy and it is a completely unofficial patch.

So, I'd like to know:
- Is anyone able to contact Ken McIvor?
- Does anyone know about the wxmpl status?

Thanks a lot,
Massimo

--
Massimo Sandal , Ph.D.
University of Bologna

snail mail:

email:
massimo.sandal@...898...

web:

<massimo_sandal.vcf>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-users mailing list
Matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
matplotlib-users List Signup and Options

Ken,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I am very happy to know that you are alive and (mostly) healthy and that you didn't forget us! :slight_smile:

I'm sorry I didn't reply to your email. It fell through the cracks, so to speak.

WxMpl development has been stalled for quite some time now because I developed bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome this past spring. It was not my intention to leave it abandoned and incompatible with matplotlib, but I've been finding everything to be a bit of an uphill battle these days.

Woah, how bad. I'm sorry about that, I hope you're somehow recovering.

My current plan is to spend some time later this month bringing WxMpl up to date with the API changes. I'd be very pleased to see it hosted as a matplotlib toolkit, so I'll move it over once it's working properly. If someone wants to move the source over and start hacking on it in the interim, please be my guest.

Thanks a lot for your interest. I didn't have time to go into the wxmpl source, but another guy (Paulo Meira , mutuka@...287... ) did a terrific work in bringing wxmpl up to date. I think you could start by contacting him.

I attach his patched wxmpl.py in this mail. What I can say is that it is mostly working, at least for basic plotting, but it has some funny bug here and there (i.e. one of my collegues found on his system that the axes direction flips when zooming). It could be an interesting startpoint.

Thanks a lot for your feedback again. I develop a data analysis application that uses wx and MPL and your little library made things much easier. Thanks for your wonderful work.

Massimo

wxmpl.py.gz (14 KB)

···

--
Massimo Sandal , Ph.D.
University of Bologna

snail mail:

email:
massimo.sandal@...898...

web:

Thanks a lot for your answer. I am very happy to know that you are alive and (mostly) healthy and that you didn't forget us! :slight_smile:

Oh no, I certainly haven't forgotten about you all!

Woah, how bad. I'm sorry about that, I hope you're somehow recovering.

Thanks. I'm going to have some surgery early next year, which will hopefully fix things. I intend to have WxMpl working again and safely in matplotlib's repository before then, as I'll be effectively offline for six months or so, at least in terms of writing code.

Thanks a lot for your interest. I didn't have time to go into the wxmpl source, but another guy (Paulo Meira , mutuka@...287... ) did a terrific work in bringing wxmpl up to date. I think you could start by contacting him.

Yes, I've had his email with the patch flagged in Mail.app for approximately forever. Thanks for sending me a patched copy of wxmpl.py, too. It'll be very helpful in figuring out the sort of changes I need to make.

Thanks a lot for your feedback again. I develop a data analysis application that uses wx and MPL and your little library made things much easier. Thanks for your wonderful work.

Thank you very much for your kind words. :slight_smile:

Ken

···

On Dec 10, 2008, at 6:35 AM, massimo sandal wrote: