ANN: matplotlib-0.98.5.3

I have uploaded the source and OSX binaries for the bugfix release of
matplotlib-0.98.5.3 to

  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=278194

The windows binaries are not yet ready, so I'll followup to this email
when they are up. Below is a summary of the bugfixes in this release

2009-05-04 Fix bug that Text.Annotation is still drawn while set to
           not visible.-JJL

2009-04-06 The pdf backend now escapes newlines and linefeeds in strings.
           Fixes sf bug #2708559; thanks to Tiago Pereira for the report.

2009-04-06 texmanager.make_dvi now raises an error if LaTeX failed to
           create an output file. Thanks to Joao Luis Silva for reporting
           this. - JKS

2009-04-05 _png.read_png() reads 12 bit PNGs (patch from
           Tobias Wood) - ADS

2009-03-17 Fix bugs in edge color handling by contourf, found
           by Jae-Joon Lee. - EF

2009-03-11 Ensure wx version >= 2.8; thanks to Sandro Tosi and
           Chris Barker. - EF

2009-02-26 Support image clipping in pdf backend. - JKS

2009-02-16 Move plot_directive.py to the installed source tree. Add
           support for inline code content - MGD

2009-02-16 Move mathmpl.py to the installed source tree so it is
           available to other projects. - MGD

2009-02-04 Fix bug in mathtext related to \dots and \ldots - MGD

2009-01-29 Document 'resolution' kwarg for polar plots. Support it
           when using pyplot.polar, not just Figure.add_axes. - MGD

2009-01-26 Make curves and NaNs play nice together - MGD

2009-01-19 Fix bug in quiver argument handling. - EF

2009-01-19 Fix bug in backend_gtk: don't delete nonexistent toolbar. - EF

2009-01-16 Fix bug in is_string_like so it doesn't raise an
           unnecessary exception. - EF

2009-01-16 Bugfix of C typedef of MPL_Int64 that was failing on
           Windows XP 64 bit, as reported by George Goussard on numpy
           mailing list. - ADS

2009-01-10 Fix bug in pan/zoom with log coordinates. - EF

2009-01-06 Fix bug in setting of dashed negative contours. - EF

2009-01-06 Be fault tolerant when len(linestyles)>NLev in contour. - MM

2008-12-20 fix the dpi-dependent offset of Shadow. - JJL

2008-12-20 fix the hatch bug in the pdf backend. minor update
           in docs and example - JJL

2008-12-19 Update Axes.legend documnetation. /api/api_changes.rst is also
           updated to describe chages in keyword parameters.
           Issue a warning if old keyword parameters are used. - JJL

John Hunter wrote:

I have uploaded the source and OSX binaries for the bugfix release of
matplotlib-0.98.5.3 to

  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=278194

great, thanks!

Note that the Mac binaries are kind of mis-named:

matplotlib-0.98.5.3-py2.5-macosx10.5.zip

That implies that they only work on 10.5, but AFAICT, it is built for the python.org python, which works on 10.3.9 and above. In any case, it seems to work for me on 10.4

something like:

matplotlib-0.98.5.3-python.org-2.5-macosx.mpkg.zip

might be better.

But it works, which is the bigger deal!

Thanks to all that contributed.

-Chris

···

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker@...259...

The homepage is saying that the latest release is 0.98.6svn, can this
be corrected?

Cheers

Adam

···

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 07:56, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

I have uploaded the source and OSX binaries for the bugfix release of
matplotlib-0.98.5.3 to

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=278194

The problem here is that I built the site docs from svn, not the last
release. 0.98.6svn is the version stamp from svn. I have mixed
feelings about fixing this. On the one hand, there is merit to having
the site docs reflect the current stable release. On the other hand,
I like pushing people onto svn HEAD, because this is where all the
latest features and bugfixes are. By building the site docs from svn,
viewers of the gallery and examples directories, as well as the
plain-ol-docs, get a peak at what is possible from svn. If they try
it and find their latest installation doesn't support it, after
complaining on the mailing list they may try installing svn. And that
is a plus for mpl, because we have more testers on svn HEAD and more
potential developers.

We are endeavoring to get a regular buildbot process going, with
regular builds and possibly nightly binaries for multiple platforms.
That way, the site can stay on svn HEAD, and users who want to the
latest can be pointed to ready-built installers from the buildbots.
In the meantime, if you want your local installation to match the
version on the website, try installing from svn <wink>

  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/installing_faq.html#install-from-svn

JDH

···

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Adam Mercer <ramercer@...287...> wrote:

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 07:56, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

I have uploaded the source and OSX binaries for the bugfix release of
matplotlib-0.98.5.3 to

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=278194

The homepage is saying that the latest release is 0.98.6svn, can this
be corrected?

The windows binaries are now uploaded and ready. We had a problem due
to a binary incompatibility in numpy which was difficult to track
down. The solution was to build the matplotlib binaries against older
versions of numpy. According to my tests, the installers should work
with numpy 1.1 or later, but if you have trouble (eg an unexplained
segfault), try wiping your matplotlib and numpy installations, upgrade
numpy to the latest for your python version, and reinstall matplotlib.

Thanks to Charlie Moad for the windows builds.

JDH

···

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

I have uploaded the source and OSX binaries for the bugfix release of
matplotlib-0.98.5.3 to

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=278194

The windows binaries are not yet ready, so I'll followup to this email
when they are up. Below is a summary of the bugfixes in this release

That makes sense, however the reason I was asking is that I am the
maintainer of the MacPorts matplotlib port and I wanted to a way to
check for the latest release, I had been using a regex to the check
the latest version as displayed on home page but when this was updated
to the svn release this broke. Also as the 0.98.5.3 release is not a
specific release but a sub release of 0.98.5 I can't use the
sourceforge downloads page to query this.

It would be really helpful if a page was provided that listed the
latest stable release that packagers could use to automatically query.

Cheers

Adam

···

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 21:25, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

The problem here is that I built the site docs from svn, not the last
release. 0.98.6svn is the version stamp from svn. I have mixed
feelings about fixing this. On the one hand, there is merit to having
the site docs reflect the current stable release. On the other hand,
I like pushing people onto svn HEAD, because this is where all the
latest features and bugfixes are. By building the site docs from svn,
viewers of the gallery and examples directories, as well as the
plain-ol-docs, get a peak at what is possible from svn. If they try
it and find their latest installation doesn't support it, after
complaining on the mailing list they may try installing svn. And that
is a plus for mpl, because we have more testers on svn HEAD and more
potential developers.

Adam Mercer wrote:

···

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 21:25, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

The problem here is that I built the site docs from svn, not the last
release. 0.98.6svn is the version stamp from svn. I have mixed
feelings about fixing this. On the one hand, there is merit to having
the site docs reflect the current stable release. On the other hand,
I like pushing people onto svn HEAD, because this is where all the
latest features and bugfixes are. By building the site docs from svn,
viewers of the gallery and examples directories, as well as the
plain-ol-docs, get a peak at what is possible from svn. If they try
it and find their latest installation doesn't support it, after
complaining on the mailing list they may try installing svn. And that
is a plus for mpl, because we have more testers on svn HEAD and more
potential developers.

That makes sense, however the reason I was asking is that I am the
maintainer of the MacPorts matplotlib port and I wanted to a way to
check for the latest release, I had been using a regex to the check
the latest version as displayed on home page but when this was updated
to the svn release this broke. Also as the 0.98.5.3 release is not a
specific release but a sub release of 0.98.5 I can't use the
sourceforge downloads page to query this.

It would be really helpful if a page was provided that listed the
latest stable release that packagers could use to automatically query.

If there's a port of uscan for MacPorts (
http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=uscan ) you could
simply use the debian watch file. It's contents are:

version=3
http://sf.net/matplotlib/matplotlib-([0-9]+(?:\.[0-9]+)*)\.tar\.gz

That directory isn't listable, so won't work with the MacPorts version
check infrastructure.

Cheers

Adam

···

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 18:06, Andrew Straw <strawman@...106...> wrote:

If there's a port of uscan for MacPorts (
http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=uscan ) you could
simply use the debian watch file. It's contents are:

version=3
http://sf.net/matplotlib/matplotlib-([0-9]+(?:\.[0-9]+)*)\.tar\.gz

Is there any reason you need to check the website, vs monitoring the
announce list, or registering to be alerted from the sf site (there is
a way to register to be alerted and I click the "alert all users
monitoring this package" with each release, but I can't find the link
right now).

JDH

···

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Adam Mercer <ramercer@...287...> wrote:

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 18:06, Andrew Straw <strawman@...106...> wrote:

If there's a port of uscan for MacPorts (
http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=uscan ) you could
simply use the debian watch file. It's contents are:

version=3
http://sf.net/matplotlib/matplotlib-([0-9]+(?:\.[0-9]+)*)\.tar\.gz

That directory isn't listable, so won't work with the MacPorts version
check infrastructure.

Adam Mercer wrote:

···

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 18:06, Andrew Straw <strawman@...106...> wrote:

If there's a port of uscan for MacPorts (
http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=uscan ) you could
simply use the debian watch file. It's contents are:

version=3
http://sf.net/matplotlib/matplotlib-([0-9]+(?:\.[0-9]+)*)\.tar\.gz

That directory isn't listable, so won't work with the MacPorts version
check infrastructure.

The uscan source can be seen here
http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en#_z_GL2ZoNPs/devscripts-2.9.26/uscan.pl&q=file:uscan.pl

It's pure perl and GPL, so I guess it should be fine to include
technically and legally with MacPorts.

-Andrew

Just in case I miss the release, MacPorts will alert me to a new
release being available. I suppose just me be lazy.

Cheers

Adam

···

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 09:20, John Hunter <jdh2358@...287...> wrote:

Is there any reason you need to check the website, vs monitoring the
announce list, or registering to be alerted from the sf site (there is
a way to register to be alerted and I click the "alert all users
monitoring this package" with each release, but I can't find the link
right now).