Animated bar graph question

I’m very new to MPL, and I’m having a blast with it - great work. I’ve looked around the docs, lists and other random places for a hint on this, but I’m still stumped.

The goal is simple: I’d like to create a very basic animated bar or barh chart. I’ve been playing via ion() from the IPython shell but I run into the following issue: The bar is painted correctly, but any value lower than the max doesn’t show up, as the max value bar doesn’t clear. For example, from IPython:

bar(10+0.25, 10) shows perfectly, then an update (using interactive mode set to on)
bar(10+0.25, 4)

…shows a new bar with a y value of 4, but the old bar (value 10) is still painted. As a result, it doesn’t look quite right.

Is there an easy way to clear the old max value bar?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
Matt

Matt C wrote:

I'm very new to MPL, and I'm having a blast with it - great work. I've looked around the docs, lists and other random places for a hint on this, but I'm still stumped.

The goal is simple: I'd like to create a very basic animated bar or barh chart. I've been playing via ion() from the IPython shell but I run into the following issue: The bar is painted correctly, but any value lower than the max doesn't show up, as the max value bar doesn't clear. For example, from IPython:

bar(10+0.25, 10) shows perfectly, then an update (using interactive mode set to on)
bar(10+0.25, 4)

Try adding a clf(), which clears the current figure, in between the calls to bar. Another option is to use hold(False) signals that you want a new plotting command to start from a clean slate.

Ryan

···

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

Thanks for the reply. The trick with clf() is that it redraws the entire image, and hold(False), while much better, changes the axes values. Ideally I could keep my axes setup and redraw only the bars, ala the animation example of the plot() sine wave. Looking at that code, I’m trying something like:

line, = bar(i + 0.25 , name_value_dict[key], color=‘red’), and calling line.set_y(), but with similar issues.

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

···

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Ryan May <rmay31@…287…> wrote:

Matt C wrote:

I’m very new to MPL, and I’m having a blast with it - great work. I’ve looked around the docs, lists and other random places for a hint on this, but I’m still stumped.

The goal is simple: I’d like to create a very basic animated bar or barh chart. I’ve been playing via ion() from the IPython shell but I run into the following issue: The bar is painted correctly, but any value lower than the max doesn’t show up, as the max value bar doesn’t clear. For example, from IPython:

bar(10+0.25, 4)

Try adding a clf(), which clears the current figure, in between the calls to bar. Another option is to use hold(False) signals that you want a new plotting command to start from a clean slate.

Ryan

Ryan May

Graduate Research Assistant

School of Meteorology

University of Oklahoma