advice on time-series of histograms

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on the best way to create a certain plot: I have a series of time points. For each one, I have a collection of values for which I’d like to display the distribution with a histogram. On the x-axis would be the time points, while at each time point there is a vertical line that is the baseline for a horizontally-oriented histogram. This is similar to a series of boxplots, but rather than using a boxplot to represent a distribution of points, I am using a histogram. There is no reason to represent the “counts” for each histogram, as the histograms would all be normalized, and I am only interested in their shape.

Ideally, this plot would be created on a single Axes object, as there should be only a single x-axis. This would involve drawing lots of rectangles on a single plot. However, one alternative is to create a separate Axes for each histogram, and play with their relative sizes on the canvas to get the proper spacing of the timepoints. I have browsed the list of examples but was not able to find something similar.

Any suggestions are welcome…

Thanks!
Uri

···

Uri Laserson
PhD Candidate, Biomedical Engineering
Harvard Medical School (Genetics)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Mathematics)
phone +1 917 742 8019
laserson@…1166…