Adding Backends

Hi,

Is there any reason that adding a backend requires modifying both rcsetup.py and the __init__.py in the backends subdirectory? Couldn't rcsetup.py fetch the list from the __init__.py (or vice-versa)?

Thanks,

Ryan

···

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

Ryan May wrote:

Hi,

Is there any reason that adding a backend requires modifying both rcsetup.py and the __init__.py in the backends subdirectory? Couldn't rcsetup.py fetch the list from the __init__.py (or vice-versa)?

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

rcsetup can't get it from backends/__init__.py because that would set a backend selection in stone. But backends/__init__.py can get it from rcsetup, and I am in the process of making that change on the trunk. This duplication had annoyed me earlier, but I didn't do anything about it then. Thanks for the prompt.

Are you actually looking into adding a new backend?

Eric

Eric Firing wrote:

rcsetup can't get it from backends/__init__.py because that would set a backend selection in stone. But backends/__init__.py can get it from rcsetup, and I am in the process of making that change on the trunk. This duplication had annoyed me earlier, but I didn't do anything about it then. Thanks for the prompt.

Good to know. If you can't get to it, let me know and I'll take a stab.

Yeah. I'm finally getting back around to the OpenGL backend I've been kicking around for awhile now, based (right now) on Gtk. gtkglext (which has python bindings) will let you render to a pixmap, so that should make it easy to integrate into the current matplotlib way of doing things. If things go well, I should have more on this after awhile.

Ryan

···

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma

Ryan May wrote:

Eric Firing wrote:

It's done now.

Yeah. I'm finally getting back around to the OpenGL backend I've been kicking around for awhile now, based (right now) on Gtk. gtkglext (which has python bindings) will let you render to a pixmap, so that should make it easy to integrate into the current matplotlib way of doing things. If things go well, I should have more on this after awhile.

Is the motivation 3D plotting?

Eric

Eric Firing wrote:

Ryan May wrote:

Eric Firing wrote:

It's done now.

Is the motivation 3D plotting?

I am all ears.... :wink:
JCT

···

Eric

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php