3D Axes scatter : no possibility to vary color/size of markers

Dear All,

I am trying to use the new 3D facilities offered by Matplotlib.
I know the mlab module of Mayavi, but I am interested in the vector export facilities offered by matplotlib.

Here is my issue : I can't manage to vary the color and/or size of the markers when doing 3D scatter plots :

fig = plt.figure()
ax = Axes3D(fig)
ax.scatter([1,2,3],[3,1,2],[1,2,0],c='r',s=[4,10,20])

The code above doesn't show size changes for each marker, just like :

ax.scatter([1,2,3],[3,1,2],[1,2,0])

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on ?

Thanks a lot,
luc

(I already posted this issue on the user list, but it seems to be a bug, and no one their seemed very interested in this issue either...)

···

---------------
luc Estebanez
Graduate Student,
ENS, Paris

I got the same problem and posted my question in this forum
http://www.developpez.net/forums/d836964/autres-langages/python-zope/calcul-scientifique/matplotlib-scatter3d-colorisation-fonction-z/
(here) a few days ago... My question receives a lot of visits but no
reaction however I think it may be an important information for people
wanting to use matplotlib efficiently. Please let me know if you can find
anything about it :confused: Even if everything works perfect with 2D
scatter I can't solve this issue with scatter3D. Knowing that's it's a bug
should already be a nice answer...

Luc Estebanez wrote:

···

Dear All,

I am trying to use the new 3D facilities offered by Matplotlib.
I know the mlab module of Mayavi, but I am interested in the vector
export facilities offered by matplotlib.

Here is my issue : I can't manage to vary the color and/or size of the
markers when doing 3D scatter plots :

fig = plt.figure()
ax = Axes3D(fig)
ax.scatter([1,2,3],[3,1,2],[1,2,0],c='r',s=[4,10,20])

The code above doesn't show size changes for each marker, just like :

ax.scatter([1,2,3],[3,1,2],[1,2,0])

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on ?

Thanks a lot,
luc

(I already posted this issue on the user list, but it seems to be a bug,
and no one their seemed very interested in this issue either...)

---------------
luc Estebanez
Graduate Student,
ENS, Paris

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus
on
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
Crystal Reports now. http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
Matplotlib-devel mailing list
Matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/matplotlib-devel

--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/3D-Axes-scatter-%3A-no-possibility-to-vary-color-size-of-markers-tp26335289p26421301.html
Sent from the matplotlib - devel mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Please file a bug on the tracker and I will assign it to Reinier

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=560720&group_id=80706&func=browse

Thanks,
JDH

···

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Ensitof <ensieta.leroy@...149...> wrote:

I got the same problem and posted my question in this forum
http://www.developpez.net/forums/d836964/autres-langages/python-zope/calcul-scientifique/matplotlib-scatter3d-colorisation-fonction-z/
(here) a few days ago... My question receives a lot of visits but no
reaction however I think it may be an important information for people
wanting to use matplotlib efficiently. Please let me know if you can find
anything about it :confused: Even if everything works perfect with 2D
scatter I can't solve this issue with scatter3D. Knowing that's it's a bug
should already be a nice answer...

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this bug, I fixed it in svn. In the maintenance
branch as well, so it will appear in next releases.

Regards,
Reinier

···

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:14 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@...149...> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Ensitof <ensieta.leroy@...149...> wrote:

I got the same problem and posted my question in this forum
http://www.developpez.net/forums/d836964/autres-langages/python-zope/calcul-scientifique/matplotlib-scatter3d-colorisation-fonction-z/
(here) a few days ago... My question receives a lot of visits but no
reaction however I think it may be an important information for people
wanting to use matplotlib efficiently. Please let me know if you can find
anything about it :confused: Even if everything works perfect with 2D
scatter I can't solve this issue with scatter3D. Knowing that's it's a bug
should already be a nice answer...

Please file a bug on the tracker and I will assign it to Reinier

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=560720&group_id=80706&func=browse

Thanks,
JDH

--
Reinier Heeres
Tel: +31 6 10852639